Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If my cheap original builder shutters keep flying off...

Posted by artnj (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 19, 11 at 11:22

Does that mean there is something wrong with the hole that was drilled in our exterior?

I just want to buy better quality replacement vinyle shutters, and see several places to do so on the web, but I dont know about the mounting issue. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If my cheap original builder shutters keep flying off...

They probably used a bit that was too large. Get new spikes and see if they bite better.

How old is the home?

o

"Does that mean there is something wrong with the hole that was drilled in our exterior? "

What is the exterior?

o

10-12 year old home, brick exterior. Shutters flew off in a windstorm last year and hurricane this year, neither had much over 80 mph gusts by the time it reached us, before that they were fine. Shutters are very thin vinyl (1/8th inch) (one actually ripped when it came off), so maybe the homebuilder probably took some shortcuts. Then again the shutters were fine for 10 years or so. Anyway, I now gather that redrilling the holes isnt that big a deal as long as you dont drill too big?

o

I'd get some mortar and fill the holes. Then re-drill them.

o

They are probably attached via the plastic spikes. The spikes, while the easiest to use, are the most sensitive to hole size. Drill them too small, you can't drive the spike without breaking it. Too large, they don't grab very well.

If you are feeling industrious, you can either off set the holes you drill and use new holes, go to a larger spike, you ditch the spike altogether and either mount them directly to the brick via a concrete fastening screw/anchor or bolt up some cellular PVC to the brick and screw the shutter into that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here