Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sddiy

okna 400 vs 500 replacement or new construction

sddiy
10 years ago

I recently replaced my first window with an okna 400 double hung deluxe replacement window.

I am not sure I was supposed to get a replacement window since it was a total bathroom remodal and the installer said he had to do a few extra things that he wouldn't need to do if it was a new construction window. It came out good and I like it, but for my next room remodel, what should I get?

I've been reading a bit and it seems like there is a difference between:
1. replacement
2. replacement with outside fins
3. new construction

Also, oknas new construction line is 3500 series and above. If I go that route will that match my 400 series window?

Finally, does anyone have any pictures of the difference between the 400 and the 500 or the 3500 and the 5500? I want to see if the upgrade is worth it.

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

What are the rest of the windows that are currently in the home constructed like?

Are they wood windows...? If so, a pocket replacement will do just fine and probably give you the most straightforward and solid install.

Depending on the window that you have and application associated with it, that will dictate how you should proceed.

• sddiy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The rest of the windows are wood, but I plan to replace them all eventually.
    I'm remodeling the room where the windows will go, so I don't need a replacement window. We are down to the studs. I need either new construction or replacement window with fins. I just don't know if there is a difference.

• PRO
    10 years ago

If you are down to the studs with all the interior trim removed, your options are going to be full tear out or full tear out with nailing flange.

If you are not disturbing the exterior trim or you have a non-removable exterior detail around the window (i.e. brick, fiber cement, etc), you are going to be relegated to full tear out without nailing flange.

There isn't any real difference between a pocket window and a full tear out window (i.e. in the window) at that point if you don't use the flange. Its all application at that point.

• sddiy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yes we are going to redo the exterior trim. So the window is full tear out with nailing flange? Haven't heard that before. Is that compatible with the okna 400 and 500?

• PRO
    10 years ago

Okna 500...yes.

You will need to order it with the fin.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

+1. You want the 500 series with integral fin, also know as the 5500.
    Also for reference, in vinyl, replacement window with fin and new construction window = the same thing. They are all 3 1/4" jamb depth, and exactly the same with only the addition of the fin.

• Mariusz Szymoniak
    6 years ago

does Okna 400 come in new construction option (with nail fin?)

• millworkman
    6 years ago

From what I know all of the Okna window series are available with a fin for new construction.

• millworkman
    6 years ago

I stand corrected, thanks WoW.

• PRO
    6 years ago

I am going to guess that you are sitting in this case.

Don't hold me to that either as we never order the 400 at this point. The lack of an accessory groove makes that window mostly worthless to us.

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    6 years ago

No nail fin, no accessory groove, and only marginally less costly than the 500. 500 is the better option 99% of the time.

• mps61
    6 years ago

First, thank everyone for the speedy responses, your insight is very helpful. Seems like Okna 500 is definitely the preferred option. I have a follow up question. I am in between Okna 500 vs. Interstate 8800. Interstate is definitely smaller and less known. Can anyone comment the difference between them is substantial? The price differential is ~$50 per window with Okna being more expensive. Thank you!

• PRO
    6 years ago

They are both fine windows having used both. I am a bit more partial to one, but both solid performers. How do the two installation companies stack up in a comparison?

• Mariusz Szymoniak
    6 years ago

Installers are great and basically identical, so I can't use that as a differentiating factor. The outside profile of Okna 500 is a tad nicer, but the combo tilt/lock mechanism of the Interstate is nicer. Total price differential is $250 (only 6 windows) with Interstate 8800 being cheaper. While nice, it is not a huge deciding factor. If I may ask, which one would you put in your house?

• PRO
    6 years ago

I have neither in my home (newer construction), but I did put Oknas in my father's home.