Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
central79h

Windsor Legend Windows for New Construction?

Central79
11 years ago

We are building an all brick home in central NC. We plan to have white exterior trim and white interior trim.

Looking at Windsor Legend windows. These windwos are composite-with wood frame and PVC sash--double hung.

Any comments, concerns, first hand experience,recommendations?

Thank you!

Comments (18)

• WindowShopper50
    11 years ago

I cannot recommend that you not use this window enough. Have had a LOT of experience with Legend over the years and the bad stories vastly outnumber the good stories. Put a little more money in the budget and look at Windsor's Pinnacle clad. Their doublehung is still at a really good price point and the overall construction is superior (to the Legend) and the service issues are on par with other windows in their class. There are a lot of Windsor Legend windows installed all over North Carolina (they are manufactured in North Carolina). Ask to see some 5 & 10 year old projects and invest the time to go look at them. I promise you, you won't be sorry you did.

• Central79
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you WindowShopper50. I appreciate the wise advice.

What type of problems, specifically, have you seen with the Legend windows?

• WindowShopper50
    11 years ago

Windows that fall apart (jambs separating at the corners, out of square, sashes falling apart, water infiltration)...plain and simple.

• Central79
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again WindoShopper50!

We are going to consider other choices. IT is frustrating, finding a window that will last, have good quality and value.

• WindowShopper50
    11 years ago

Central79 - again...take a look at the Windsor Pinnacle....it's definitely a good value and doesn't have the problems of the Legend line.

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

What material are you considering? Wood, vinyl, fiberglass, composites?

• Central79
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We did not want to use wood. We have a 20yr old house now with wood windows that stick and thus we never open them.
    We would consider vinyl, if they would hold up over 20 yrs and not show the ageing, since they cannot be painted. Also we do not want a cheap looking vinyl or one with too much plastic and too little glass
    Fiberglass is a possibility.
    We were looking at composite PVC sash that would not even have to be painted (necessarily, since our inside/outside trim will be white). If they show weathering or color change with age, then we would still be able to paint them if needed in the future.
    Finally we want good value,(we do not want to enter into the Rolls-Royce price ranges we have seen posted here from time to time.)
    Thanks for listening to my concerns. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

• Central79
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I need to add, that now, at this point we would be open to any double hung window, wood included, that would last, have good quality and value.
    Thanks again.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Does anyone sell Lepage near you, I feel they are a solid wood or extruded clad window at a very good price point.

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

My recommendations:

Vinyl-Sunrise, Okna, Softlite/Gorell, Affinity (Energex).

Composites-Okna, Interstate.

Fiberglass-Inline, Marvin.

Wood-Marvin, Kolbe-Kolbe

Please don't take this list as the only good windows out there. There are some regional manufacturers that make some very good windows, but I'm just not familiar enough with them to make a recommendation.

Most manufacturers of vinyl windows will offer at least a tan/beige exterior and a white interior. Softlite offers a few basic extruded colors and an expanded selection of foil laminate exteriors and then adds in a fairly large selection of painted exteriors and if that doesn't satisfy you, they will also color match to any Sherwin-Williams paint colors. Sunrise offers about 4 exterior colors and a few interiors colors.Okna also offers a pretty good selection of extruded colors and also an expanded selection of painted exteriors.

Inline offers about 5 standard factory colors and will also do any custom colors.

Marvin offers a decent selection of cladded exteriors.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Again I aree with Ecostae in that a wood window I feel the Kolbe and Marvin would be far and away the best choise. BUt the OP is not looking for the "rolls royce" of windows and I feel Lepage is a good middle of the road wood window, certainly not in the "rolls royce" class but not a Yugo either.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

I would tend to agree with Eco's list. Very solid choices.

• Central79
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for your advice!
    Lepage is not offered in our area.
    We are now looking at Windsor Pinnacle and Marvin Integrity.

We hope the quotes are not too high.
    We appreciate all the recommendations!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

Good luck.

I think you will like the Marvin Integrity.

• Central79
    Original Author
    11 years ago

GC put in our windows this week. We decided on the Marvin Integrity Wood/Ultrex windows. We also got a quote from a second distributor which was significantly less money than our original Building supply Co. The windows were delivered 10 days after ordering, with no problems or errors. They work great and look fantastic!!
    We are very happy!!
    Thanks everyone!!

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

Good choice, congrats!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

Great feedback.

Post up some pictures.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Yes, sound decision and definitely please post pictures!