Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccoombs1

Joining two windows?

ccoombs1
14 years ago

I currently have a fake glass block window in my bathroom that I hate. The blocks are cracking and I am replacing it. Since this window is next to a garden tub, the replacement window will be tempered glass. I have located two tempered glass double hung windows that are 2050 windows. The pair of them is only $100 and money is tight (I am out of work) so I need to make these windows work. The existing window is a 4040. This room is not done yet so changing the height of the opening will be a breeze, but its a load bearing wall so changing the width will be more complicated. It can be done, but if there is a way to join these two windows into one unit, I'd rather do that. They are vinyl with a nailing flange on them. I know this is done at the window factories all the time, but is this something I can do at home?

If this won't work I will put a 6" space between them to give me room for the siding. I'll also have to put up a temporary brace to support the roof trusses while I frame up a new header for the two windows.

Thanks in advance

Cindy

Comments (3)