Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help? Leaking Vinyl Windows

Posted by timmyg123 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 23, 10 at 9:15

I am having some problems with leaking windows, attached to the front of my house with a brick facade.

They are leaking at the top, and the recaulking I just did between the lintel and windows did not help. I suspect the leaks are the result of bad installation with water getting behind the bricks and not draining where it should. The area between lintel and window was wet when I cleaned it out and recaulked.

Any ideas on how to fix this? should I just get some new windows installed properly or should i try and have them repaired?

i'm at my wits end and would appreciate any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help? Leaking Vinyl Windows

Generally when a leak appears at the top of a window, it is not a window leak. If you can actually see the water come between the glass and frame, that is a different matter.
I would venture a guess that it is either (1)poor or no flashing or (2) the water is coming from somewhere else and finding its way to the window because it is an opening in your wall. So long story short, don't replace the window until you know it's the windows fault or you may go to a lot of trouble and expense for naught.

o

thanks, but how would i go about determining the cause?

o

Open up the drywall above the windows where the leaks are happening.

o

I have vinyl windows that when it rain (mostly heavy rain), water stains inside at the lower right and left corners (some windows in the middle section as well as the right and left section). What can I use to stop the water from coming in (I know that the windows are not slant enough to remove all the water, I am seeing). I appreciate if you can help me out.

o

Many leaks around windows generally can be traced to a problem with your roof unless you can visibly see the siding or drip cap is not sealed correctly.

o

Drip cap or head flashing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here