Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spup345

Technical questions to ask a contractor/installer?

spup345
14 years ago

In short:

I would like a list of technical installation questions to ask prospective contractors/installers?

In long:

Live in northeast. I am going to be replacing a picture window that has 2 storm double-hungs on its sides with a bow window. Also replacing same window config downstairs with new picture/double-hungs. I've been getting various recommended contractors come in to give estimates.

Besides window choice which is a separate decision for me, what technical questions should I be asking the installer?

I am a DIY, but never have done windows. Will do individual double-hungs around the house by myself eventually, but for these big ones, I want an installer but don't know what to ask besides:

-Warranty info from him? Examples of previous jobs? Is he insured? Removal/disposal of my old windows included?

For example, one guy came in and said he'd prefer to do a replacement because it'd be cheaper to install because of my vinyl siding and having to do more trim work, etc.. But another guy said he'd do new construction and used technical terms I wasn't really familiar with at the time.

You can use whatever terms and I'll research what they mean. Tnx!!!!

Comments (2)