Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to get aluminum from screens off windows?

Posted by amylauren (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 8:37

Hi-we just moved into a house and I took off the aluminum screens and cant get the residue off the windows. I have tried windex and windshield cleaner I got from a glass store. The only thing that works at all it dry paper towel with a lot of pressure one small spot at a time.

Any suggestions to help cut into the residue-its really dry and on there. I have a lot of windows and the one little spot I was able to get with the dry paper towel took a loooong time. Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to get aluminum from screens off windows?

Ypu have residue from the screens on the window or do you residue on your screens?

o

Andersen used to have a home made formula for this, as they were one of the only companies to use aluminum for a time.
You might check their website or maybe call them.

o

Anything with a high pH (slightly caustic) will dissolve aluminum.

o

Straight vinegar has worked for me in the past.

Brickeye is right in my experience.

o

cerium oxide

o

"cerium oxide"

Expensive and very time consuming to polish off anything but a small area.

Aluminum likely has left aluminum oxide as part of any residue, and that is VERY abrasive and HARD.

Polishing it off is likely to result in more scratches that have to be polished out.

o

I've had good luck with it. If it's a large area use an oscillating buffer. About $35.00 a pound at Amazon. Cheaper then new glass.....

o

"I've had good luck with it."

You do understand that there is likely aluminum oxides present on the glass?

It is one of the hardest abrasives you can have, and wilt scratch the glass horribly while you try to polish it off with a very soft abrasive.

One of the rules of polishing anything is to make sure ALL the previous abrasive has been removed beofre going to the next grade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here