Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rogerssa_gw

Window Issue

rogerssa
10 years ago

We built a new house about a year ago. We had Windsor windows put in the whole house. Every one of them have bowing around the reveals of the sash and the sill portions of the frame. Windsor has come out and said this should be expected. I quote "vinyl windows by their nature are lighter weight and less rigid than wood windows. as such, they will flex and even change shape somewhat after manufacturing, during shipping, handling, and delivery... This is not viewed as a defect but is the nature of a vinyl window"
The first responce was a install issue. After much argument the manufacture did come out and reinstall one of the windows themselves. This window still has the bow in it. Thier comment " This is also true of the laundry room window that (reseller) and Windsor already ireinstalled in your home this year, with the builder and orginal installer present. The widow was reinstalled per Windsor's installation instructions and slight variatios in the reveals are still present. This is normal and acceptable with vinyl windows and sdoes not impede the proper operations or performace of this window"

So I should have to deal with windows that show bows in them all inside and outside.

Anyone else heard or seen this? I'm amazed that I should have to see this.

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

No. That is not correct by any stretch.

That part of the windows, nor any window, is load bearing and you should deflect there.

That bow is either the result of an installation issue (less likely given that they have re-installed the window again) and more likely the result of a weak product at the window head.

You can fix/adjust that window but putting a screw (and concealing with a screw cap) through the head to tight up the bow.

• rogerssa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pic of outside

The first pic isn't of the window they re-installed although the outside pic is. The inside looks similar just not as much of a bow.

On outside you can see it there too.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Contact a window pro in your area and have them remove that 4" trim around the window and check the installation.

If it was not installed too tight or the framing is not bowed, that is a window failure (either in design or specific application).

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Agree, they may use a weak extrusion . as windows and washington suggested, putting a screw into the header could work.
    I doubt it is an installation issue. The manufacturers response about the window is expected to bow is utter nonsense . A high quality vinyl window just wont do that. Tell the rep its not your fault that they cut corners and use a flimsy design.

This post was edited by mmarse1 on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 9:35

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

As the other guys have said, this is not a problem inherent with vinyl windows, however it is a problem inherent with low quality vinyl windows. I would continue to follow up on demanding that the issue be fixed, but to be honest you'll probably get the same thing even if they replace it--- as you have already seen in the laundry room. Ultimately, as long as it operates and seals properly, they probably will not do much about it.
    Definitely a cautionary tale on why it is important to buy a quality product.

• Jumpilotmdm
    10 years ago

Windsor's response is bonafide crapola, period.

• Jumpilotmdm
    10 years ago

Windsor's response is bonafide crapola, period.

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

Looks to me like its the product that is crapola. The response is what you'd expect when you know that a replacement will do the same thing.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH