Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andy036

Aeris WX1000 vs Soft-Lite Elements

Andy036
10 years ago

Live in southern Ohio and am replacing 23 windows in my home. We require a beige exterior and white interior and have it narrowed down to the Aeris WX1000 by Provia which is an Energy Star rated window with .27 U-Factor double pane. It is a vinyl window with a wood overlay interior. The quote came in 50% less than the Soft-Lite Elements which we also liked, but cannot find much of an opinion on the internet about the Aeris windows. Curious about how these two windows compare and if the Soft-Lite is really worth a 50% premium over the Aeris window since they are both Energy Star rated. Plan on being in the house for a long-time so we want window that will last. Appreciate any insights that might help us decide.

Comments (16)

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Soft Lite Elements along with the Okna 800 series " EnviroStar" are my favorite windows, based on looks, energy efficiency, and structural integrity.
    Not too familiar with the provia window, although it is pretty solid from when i saw it not too long ago albeit a quick glance.
    Where are you located?

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Can't imagine the Soft-Lite being worth the 50% premium if all the install and product options are the same.

The Soft-Lite Elements is a pretty specific program and some companies that go to market with it aim for a premium number.

What is the difference in the two companies being compared?

• Andy036
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Both companies have been in business 25+ years and are reputable in the area as well as certified installers for the respective brand they distribute. The key difference between the windows is a complimentary upgrade on the Elements to triple pane (i.e. cost would be the same for their double pane). Living in Southern Ohio, I feel triple pane is a luxury and not a necessity. What structurally should I be comparing between the two since double pane to triple pane is not a fair comparison? Is it worth 50% more to go with a triple pane Elements?

• Andy036
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Both companies have been in business 25+ years and are reputable in the area as well as certified installers for the respective brand they distribute. The key difference between the windows is a complimentary upgrade on the Elements to triple pane (i.e. cost would be the same for their double pane). Living in Southern Ohio, I feel triple pane is a luxury and not a necessity. What structurally should I be comparing between the two since double pane to triple pane is not a fair comparison? Is it worth 50% more to go with a triple pane Elements?

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

I really think the Elements is an outstanding window in which you will be very happy with.

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

The Aeris should cost the dealer more than the Soft-Lite.
    Both windows are avialable to "select dealers" which often gives them a license to steal. Do you need a custom color in the interior, is the Soft-Lite quoted with a laminate interior?The Aeris can come prefinished on the interior from the factory or custom stained.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

" license to steal" . Thats a rather ridiculous statement to make. I would think a contractor that pushes low quality cheap windows to his customers is the one with a license to steal, would you not agree?

• PRO
    10 years ago

The truth is probably somewhere in between I would bet.

I am not sure why the premium on the Elements is there over the Aeris.

Aeris looks like a nice unit but if you are not running the wood interior, I would hazard a guess that the Elements is the more well engineered (performance wise) window.

Is that worth the 50% premium...I don't think so.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

Good advice above. I'd agree with the general consensus that 1) The Elements is a better window, and 2) but hard to justify a 2x premium. That said, I'd be interested to know the actual prices. For instance, if the Aeris is $350 and the Elements is $700, it is the the Aeris that throws up red flags. On the other hand, if the Aeris is $600 and the Elements is $1200, I'd say that the Elements would be overpriced in that scenario and that the Aeris would be the superior value.
    Both products are higher-end and should serve you well if installed properly.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Very good explanation HomeSealed. That was very well said.

• Andy036
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aeris is $550 a window and the Elements is $770 a window on average. Leaning towards the Aeris unless that pricing differential should be raising a red flag.

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

Marcel, Just going by what I have seen. There are some dealers of exclusive windows brands that think they are Renewal by Andersen and others price them a bit more reasonable. Pushing the low end stuff at higher numbers is more of free for all .
    50% does not equal 2x's. The numbers quoted are about 40% difference. Make sure both companies are bidding the same things as the small details can greatly affect pricing.

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

50% less means half price. 50% premium adds half of the base price back to it. It was stated both ways in the original post. In this case, it would be a 40% premium as explained by Todd. Both of those prices are within the norm for those products. The Elements is a better window ( one of the best IMO), so I'd go that route if you can swing it. Maybe let the Elements dealer know your situation and see what he can do on price. If it doesn't work out, the aeris is a fine consolation prize.

• PRO
    10 years ago

At that number, I don't see any red flags on either companies part.

Both seem reasonable.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

+1. Both within the range of reason. Reiterating my thoughts above, on product alone, I'd take the Softlite but it may be hard to justify the added cost. That said, you should really give weight to which company that you feel is more trustworthy, will do a better install, and offers more security. Even if both seem good, do a little bit more digging to make sure that you make the right choice. That aspect could easily make up the price difference if that aspects tilts toward the pricier option, OR make the cheaper option even more appealing if that is the case.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Perfect advice HomeSealed.

I also prefer the Elements window based on what I know of the two but the original poster will have to decide what the premium is worth.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor