Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elliots11_gw

Sealing out-of-square Windows

elliots11
9 years ago

I have slider windows with 1/2 inch glass that no longer shut completely. I've looked into it and it appears that my house has has shifted and the windows and frames don't line up properly anymore. There's maybe 1/2 " of offset that prevents the latch from locking and the side from making a tight seal. The top of the sliding pane goes all the way into the side of the frame when closed, but the bottom doesn't. There's no visible gap, it's just not a tight seal.

Weatherstripping can probably help on the sides, but what about the middle where the latch is?

I'm going to get some laminated soundproof interior storm windows installed, however I'd like to seal up the present windows before that happens just to see how well I can do beforehand. I like the windows to still be functional, but I need to seal along the sides and in the middle where the latch is. These are side slider windows, about 50" x 60". They knock down sound when shut already by an ok amount, but if there's anything left to be gained I want it.

Anyone got any ideas on sealing windows that don't quite fit anymore? I already replaced the bottom wheels, so that's not it.

Comments (8)

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

Iif the windows are not level and square anymore you may have to reset them.

• elliots11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Googling indicates that means removing them and reinstalling. Is that a handyman deal or a window shop deal? It's on essentially the 2nd floor, so it's beyond DIY for me.

Would that change the measurements of the window hole by stretching it? I've already ordered new interior storms and don't want to screw that deal up. That'll take care of 90%+ of my problem and I'm looking for like a 6% bump from sealing what's there.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

It will not cure 90% of your problem because if the house is "shifting" and causing your current windows to be out of square then the same will happen to your soundproof interior storms. If they are laminated glass and the house shifts they very well make crack. You need to fix the problem, hire a contractor who knows what they are doing and fix the current windows before you put storms on. You ordered the storms? Did you order them out of square to accommodate you out of square windows?

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Setting windows or storms in out of square walls is doable but depending on how out of square we are talking about.

Most cut back recommendations handle a majority of what we see but when the opening is more racked than normal, you need to take special measures to ensure the units fit and work properly.

• HomeSealed
    9 years ago

Are these vinyl sliders? If so, it is likely that they were not properly shimmed under frame, causing it to sag in the middle and the sashes not to line up. If that is the case, it can be fixed without a complete reset.
    If the problem is more substantial, I'd agree that resetting them is probably in order. Sticking on weatherstripping will be a very temporary and poorly performing "fix".

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

It is common to have them shimmed to high in the middle as well and have the ends drop. Usually houses are done moving around by the time a vinyl window has been put in and you should be seeing problems in other areas such as the doors.

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

If your house is still moving you should find out why and address that first. I did a service call for a company about 9 months ago. They put in a new door and reset it once or twice. It turned out the rim joist was rotting and the header was in poor shape as well. They had no more calls after the surgery.

• elliots11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I live on a hill in Los Angeles which is a seismically active area. I figured that was why it was shifting and that's what I've been told by a few contractors. The foundation has been looked at and is ok, plus I basically sit on solid bedrock.

Since the house was built in '89 there have been a few earthquakes including a big one in '94, so I figure windows being out of square is just part of the way things are in LA. They are aluminum windows, btw.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County