Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nimble7

Alside 6100 Sliding Glass Patio Door

nimble7
9 years ago

New member here. I'm posting in the "Window" forum because I didn't find a "Door" forum and the manufacturers seem to be the same.

I'm thinking about replacing a patio swinging door with a sliding glass door and our contractor is suggesting the Alside 6100 because they get a great deal on them and can "pass the savings along".

Based on my research, people don't think highly of Alside windows. The contractor says that the 6100 is made by someone else and rebranded and that the only callbacks they've had are a few for lock adjustments.

They're suggesting Provia for the sidelites. Provia seems to have great reviews.

Materials on the 6100 will cost me about $1500 (before installation). That sounds like a great price unless the thing falls apart in a couple years.

$1500 is less than I thought I would have to pay for a quality door. Is the Alside 6100 a decent door or is there something else I should be looking for? The color I need is white, so painting/color options isn't really an issue.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

What is his/her install going to cost?

There are better sliding patio doors that will fall in that $2,000 - $2,800 range so if his/her install is anything that puts it in that range, I would look at another door.

Its a KD (knocked down) frame which is nice for multi-story and limited access but I prefer, assuming the access is suitable, a fully welded frame.

Where is the home located? Sunrise, Okna, Home Guard, and Soft-Lite all make great vinyl rolling doors.

• nimble7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Total install is in the $4,500 range, but that includes the 6100 2 side lites, reframing the opening to change the size of the sliding door opening, some outside trim work, and replacing some rot.

Location is in Western PA.

There's so much to consider on picking out a door and so many different opinions on who has the best quality. Is there a reputable place that's good for comparing the suggestions you provided?

Thanks!

• PRO
    9 years ago

Price isn't bad given all the work but I would still like to see a better door.

Should be able to source the Sunrise, Okna, Soft-Lite, or Home Guard slider pretty simply.

• nimble7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks windowsonwashington. The contractor has a good reputation and their price is in line with other quotes. I'll continue my search on the door though. Thanks for the suggestions.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Keep us posted and let us know how it goes.

• nimble7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm still looking at options... How does Provia compare to the other options you suggested?

>>Should be able to source the Sunrise, Okna, Soft-Lite, or Home Guard slider pretty simply.

We're also thinking about just replacing our center hinged unit with another swinging door. The Home Depot salesman was against a swinging door for side of the house that gets the weather. What do you think?

Thanks

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

You lost us at " the Home Depot salesman said...", lol.
    Provia makes a great hinged unit, as does Homeguard. In sliding, I agree with Wow's recommendations. I can't say that there is anything at HomeDepot that I'd recommend in terms of quality. I think that they can special order Thermatru which is probably the bare minimum of where I'd start. Regarding a hinged doo being weathertight, there is no issue with either as long as it is a quality product.

• tacevacer
    9 years ago

Looking to replace a delaminated Anderson sliding glass door with a fogged window. I've eliminated Alside from posts read on several sites. Bristol and Sunrise are left. Bristol with install is $3K; Sunrise with install is $2.4K. The Bristol is, in my opinion, better made (rollers/frame/locks/R-factor/U-factor). It's a standard 72X80 with vinyl house siding. The Bristol uses Butyl/Alum. tape on the sill; sunrise does not. Any thoughts?

• millworkman
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

From what I recall Bristol is not in any pros words minds a quality product. Look to some of the brands mentioned above by windows on washington.

• tacevacer
    9 years ago

Research continues. Thanks for the feedback.