Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dzd9fy

Installation cost of new construction vs. replacement?

dzd9fy
10 years ago

We are what to expect as a cost difference on having new construction vs. replacement windows installed?

In our particular instance we have a 1950's brick clad ranch with the original wood double hung windows. Most rooms have single double hung windows, however there are two picture windows that are flanked on each end by a double hung, and one room with three double hungs ganged together in the opening. All the windows currently are trimmed out with aluminum flashing.

Our intent is to switch to casement for both appearance and funcationality with our window treatments. It time were not a concern I could easily install say Anderson 100 series to match the egress window I installed in the basement, but with Fall approaching and the larger picture windows it might be a bit much to do. If I were installing I would go with the new construction and eliminate the ugly flashing and trim out with composite.

As we get quotes, what should we expect, and what should we be looking for? Will I be able to find installers who will leave the windows untrimmed? If so is there an advantage to them to use new construction vs. replacment? If it helps we are in SE Michigan.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

You cannot use new construction (i.e. nailing flange) in your application given the brick veneer.

You can do a full tear out and if you think the cladding is ugly (most folks prefer to not paint/maintain the wood/trim exteriors), that is going to be your best bet.

Nothing drastic about that install and should be able to be sourced quite easily through the standard replacement companies.

A full tear out will cost you a pretty penny more and if you test positive for lead, even more so.

Be prepared for those expenses as well as the cost of the composite trim.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

+1, good advice above. In my experience, the cost difference starts around $200 and only goes up from there depending on other factors.

• dzd9fy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the information,I had not thought about the lead aspect on the trim inside which is original and would have to be dealt with by the contractor I am betting.

That said, are there any attractive options for the outside trim over the ugly aluminum cladding that I already have installed over the original brick moulding?

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

It would be more likely to find lead paint on the exterior trim, exterior side of sash and frame then the interior window casings. The cost of dealing with lead is going to be there regardless of full frame or insert if it indeed has it. I would reconsider the aluminum cladding, it can look good if done well.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

1) You can do the lead work yourself, however it would be safer to leave it to a certified pro.
    2) While there will be added costs either way, I believe WoW was referring to the fact that added containment measures are needed on a full tear-out as opposed to a replacement, so that option (full tear) would have a higher cost in that area (lead safe procedures).
    3) As Todd mentioned, aluminum cladding can be done well by a skilled pro, but there are plenty of other options as well from replacing with new wood, to pvc and composite options in many different profiles. The aluminum is generally the most cost effective.

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure