Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No house wrap .... Window flashing?

Posted by mcorner (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 25, 09 at 22:23

I live in an "antique" house, 1790. Wood clapboard siding with board sheathing. There is no house wrap, tar paper, etc. etc. Just siding over boards.

I need to replace a couple of casement windows. What is the right way to flash them? Everything I have read (like this great FH article: http://www.finehomebuilding.com/PDF/Free/021197054.pdf)

assumes the presence of housewrap to flash over. Does typar tape even stick to wood? Or should I just caulk the sides and top? What would the flashing even do on my house?

Also, what is your opinion of premade sill pans like Jamsill? The FH article uses a beveled piece of siding and flashes over that.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No house wrap .... Window flashing?

Typar tape will not stick well to wood. A good flexible self sealing membrane tape will stick to wood.

Pre-made sill pans are nice but are typically used in new construction applications. How much of the siding will you be removing?

o
RE: No house wrap .... Window flashing?

Thanks, I think that is what I am looking for.

I would like to remove as little siding as possible. Obviously I will remove the outside trim, which should give me most of the room I need for the flashing. Worst, case I may have to sawzall a few nails to get the flashing to be wide enough.

So something like this:
http://www.tarcoroofing.com/pdf/LB_Door_&_Window.pdf
should work well over wood.

I can use a beveled piece of siding instead and not caulk the bottom of the window.

Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here