Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Storm Window for old home?

Posted by sarahandbray (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 22:18

We are definitely keeping our original 19th c. windows but losing the silver 1950's storms with new storm windows.
I do not want wood for cost and maintenance reasons. What is the best aluminum storm out there for a reasonable price? Installed, I've had quotes ranging from $140-200.
Thanks!
Sarah from Albany, NY

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Storm Window for old home?

Allied storms, Mon-Ray , Harvey, Larson Gold Series ,Pro-Via. Availability, color,options and price may dictate what is the best option. Some brands offer a "flush" mounted storms others have many color options, ect. I would figure out what you need and see what is available and then look at them in person. By the time you do all that there may only may be one to consider.

o

Sarah,

All the brands that Todd listed are proven and well regarded.

I have used one other manufacturer and found them to be a solid and surprisingly air tight.

Quanta Panel is the other brand I would check into.

o

Thanks! I found a supplier/installer of Harvey and Larson but will have to hunt around for the others. What is the benefit of flush mount? And is $175ish reasonable for an install of a Harvey storm?
Thanks!!
Sarah

o

Flush mounts are visually more pleasing to some.
Since the frame is flush with the casing it can also hide more flaws, cover up aluminum trim that does not reurn all the way to the blind stop. They can be made to fit tighter than pin-on style storms if the rails are ordered loose and long and custom fitted on site.They would also be slightly sturdier as well.
I do not know what Harvey's cost, pricing in your area, or size of windows .
That would be about normal for a 90 to 110 united inch Larson Gold or Allied storm, but low for a Monray.

Get some more bids on same product to get a bettr feel for price.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here