Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vtcottage_gw

Green Mountain Windows vs. Boston Sash & Millwork

vtcottage
15 years ago

We are building an addition to our 1930's cottage/bungalow style home and are hoping to purchase windows that are close to the style of the home's original windows. The original windows are double hung 6/1 true divided light with 7/8" wide muntins. On the interior side of the windows the muntins also protrude 7/8" from the window pane glass. The lower portion of the sash (i.e. the single pane of glass without muntins) has the same detail pattern of the muntins.

We have ruled out Marvin windows because they could not get close to the original windows for a reasonable price (i.e. under $1,000 per window). I don't like Marvin's standard muntin style and so would have had to go with the expensive Signature series. In addition, the lower portion of the sash has no nice detailing, it is just a plain rounded edge.

Green Mountain Windows seems to offer the best and most historic looking all wood window for a reasonable price. I've heard from a couple of builders and our local lumber yard that their customer service is horrible and that the windows are not good quality. Does anyone have experience with these windows?

With regard to Boston Sash, I've heard positive things about this company and a Marvin distributor actually recommended them to me. Does anyone have experience working with this company and what is the quality of the windows?

Thanks for any help!

Comments (16)

• galefarm
    15 years ago

Have you looked at the Pella Architect Series. The muntins are 7/8" and have a very nice profile to them. The black foam spacer gives a nice true divided light appearance. I think they would fit in nicely with your cottage lool

• holly8500
    14 years ago

I wholeheartedly recommend Green Mountain Windows, they have a very authentic window in either single paned or double paned and at a great price, under $1000 for a unit. Their 7/8" muntin is well done and we use these windows for almost all our homes at AND we build new old homes. The service and warranty are well done and the windows low maintenance. I recommend the 2' historic sill. For photos of the windows you can see them at our website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Connor Homes and examples of Green mountain Windows

• barnliving
    11 years ago

I have had the worst experience with Green Mountain customer service. It doesn't exist. I have used many other window manufacturers including Marvin, Pella and Anderson. They have been very responsive if there were problems. green Mountain has actually never addressed our problems nor returned our calls. Forewarned.

• Tim
    11 years ago

Another option to consider is Andersen 400 Woodwright or A Series double hungs. I've got 17 A Series DH on order to be installed in the next few weeks.

The A Series in particular is very 'authentic' looking with nice details in the interior woodworking as well as spoon-locks and other period-correct details.

• tube
    11 years ago

barnliving: Could you please provide more information? I have Green Mountain in my house and they were fantastic to work with. I received a tour of their shop and met with the owners. They were extremely accommodating and great people to work with.

• mpk5
    8 years ago

I love my Green Mountain Windows. I have over 40 of their double hung window in my house and 4 french doors. I installed them about 5 years ago and have NEVER had an issue. They are beautiful. I'm working on the interior of my house now and the local designer LOVES my windows. She wants all their info to show her other clients!

• cem225
    last year

barnliving: We here at Green Mountain Window & Door Co., Inc. take great pride in our product and our service. If you are having any issues or problems with your windows we are here and happy to help. There is a company named Green Mountain Window and Door LLC that has several bad reviews commenting on poor service. That is NOT our business and they are illegally using our trademarked name. Please go to www.greenmountainwindow.com for information about the officially trademarked and incorporated Green Mountain Window.

• Lorac Euccm
    last year

Yes

• millworkman
    last year

Lorac Euccm, "Yes" what?

• cem225
    last year

Yes, the problem has been ongoing

• oberon476
    last year

I can't imagine that's good for business

• millworkman
    last year

Especially for years now with no resolution.

• Dee C
    last year

Cem225, does Green Mountain Windows have a list of authorized dealers? Thank you.

• cem225
    last year
    last modified: last year

Dee, Thank you for your interest. We do have dealers. Please email me directly at carol@greenmountainwindow.com so I can give you more specific information.

• cem225
    last year

oberon476: Fortunately our business is growing and thriving regardless of the confusion. We do not advertise yet we have grown tremendously over the past 10+ years. That growth is driven by word-of-mouth referrals and repeat business. The contractor using our name dissolved his business in PA but then reestablished it in NJ. Since then it seems he has gone out of business so I am hoping that problem has been resolved. Unfortunately these reviews from years ago remain. That is why I posted 9 years after "barnliving" posted. By the way, I was eventually able to identify the owner of "barnliving". I can not speak for him to explain why he left such a negative review but I am able to confirm that he is not now nor has he ever been a Green Mountain Window customer.