Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fogging inside insulated windows...what to do?

Posted by emerino (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 22:10

Hi! I have 3 or 4 insulated windows that have condensation or fogging inside them. I have 2 questions.

1. How can I tell what brand of windows they are and if they have a warranty? The house is about 30 years old. I don't know if the windows are newer than that. They are brown aluminum. The only markings on them are the letters "GA" on the window latch.

2. Should I look into replacing the whole window or just the glass?

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fogging inside insulated windows...what to do?

Not worth repairing. I'd replace them.

o

+1

Probably better off with a new window at this point.

o

GA is General Aluminum in Carrollton, Tx. 10 year glass warranty. Either buy glass locally or replace unit with a better one.

o

Thanks for the advice!

Am I going to need to replace all of the windows (10 total)? The other windows are in great shape but I would want them to all match.

Also, will replacing fogged windows add value to my home? I'm not opposed to leaving them as is, but if it will add value to go ahead and fix them, then I won't mind the cost so much.

o

GA can probably remake the sash for you cheaper than a local shop would do it if you want to stay very surgical about the process.

o

Actually fogged windows subtract from the value of your home. Most buyers expect the windows to be clear and clean. The reason the glass is fooged up is because the seal has failed and moisture has gotten between the panes. This would be viewed as a defective window by a buyer and in todays real estate market, they would likely insist the window glass be replaced, at a minimum. If you plan on staying thre for a while, why not invest in new energy efficient windows?

o

We actually signed off on the inspection without requiring them to fix the windows (3 years ago). But, yes, I would expect a potential buyer to expect more and I think the fogging is worse. I think we'll be here at least 5 more years, so it'll be worth it. I found a GA dealer in my city, so I'll contact them. Thanks for the help :)

o

I would not replace with aluminum windows. I'd be looking at vinyl, wood or fiberglass.

o

Many times, the date the windows were manufactured will be etched on the glass or stamped on the spacer bar that separates the two panes of glass. If GA has a 10 year warranty, and that date reflects that they are not 10 years old yet, you might get a little help with warranty. Most glass warranty covers "the glass only" and not sashes, not replacement windows and not the labor to install the glass. And in that case, it very well may be that replacing the windows will be your best bet. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here