Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emerino_gw

Fogging inside insulated windows...what to do?

emerino
11 years ago

Hi! I have 3 or 4 insulated windows that have condensation or fogging inside them. I have 2 questions.

1. How can I tell what brand of windows they are and if they have a warranty? The house is about 30 years old. I don't know if the windows are newer than that. They are brown aluminum. The only markings on them are the letters "GA" on the window latch.

2. Should I look into replacing the whole window or just the glass?

TIA!

Comments (9)

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

Not worth repairing. I'd replace them.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

+1

Probably better off with a new window at this point.

• highport
    11 years ago

GA is General Aluminum in Carrollton, Tx. 10 year glass warranty. Either buy glass locally or replace unit with a better one.

• emerino
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the advice!

Am I going to need to replace all of the windows (10 total)? The other windows are in great shape but I would want them to all match.

Also, will replacing fogged windows add value to my home? I'm not opposed to leaving them as is, but if it will add value to go ahead and fix them, then I won't mind the cost so much.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

GA can probably remake the sash for you cheaper than a local shop would do it if you want to stay very surgical about the process.

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

Actually fogged windows subtract from the value of your home. Most buyers expect the windows to be clear and clean. The reason the glass is fooged up is because the seal has failed and moisture has gotten between the panes. This would be viewed as a defective window by a buyer and in todays real estate market, they would likely insist the window glass be replaced, at a minimum. If you plan on staying thre for a while, why not invest in new energy efficient windows?

• emerino
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We actually signed off on the inspection without requiring them to fix the windows (3 years ago). But, yes, I would expect a potential buyer to expect more and I think the fogging is worse. I think we'll be here at least 5 more years, so it'll be worth it. I found a GA dealer in my city, so I'll contact them. Thanks for the help :)

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

I would not replace with aluminum windows. I'd be looking at vinyl, wood or fiberglass.

• WindowShopper50
    11 years ago

Many times, the date the windows were manufactured will be etched on the glass or stamped on the spacer bar that separates the two panes of glass. If GA has a 10 year warranty, and that date reflects that they are not 10 years old yet, you might get a little help with warranty. Most glass warranty covers "the glass only" and not sashes, not replacement windows and not the labor to install the glass. And in that case, it very well may be that replacing the windows will be your best bet. Good luck!