Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Okna windows?

Posted by RTawp1509 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 22:02

So I bought a flip house on the water and am looking at replacing its 30 year old "weather shield" windows and doors with something more updated looking, weather ready and energy efficient. Most of the existing windows are ok, but a lot of the wood frames have rotted out and leak water, Also the doors are in horrible shape, none of them shut tight and have air gaps all over the place. So I figure new all around is in order.

The house has shutters so I dont need to do impact glass. But want to do at least DP50 rated and be energy efficient. The dealer came out and quoted me okna windows. I have never heard of the brand but he professed to say they were the best windows in the world. Pella, PGT, Andersen etc couldn't touch them as far as quality or energy efficiency. While it looks like their triple pane krypton window has a great rating at 0.15. The rest of the windows seem right in line with everybody else.

My quote today seemed OUTRAGEOUS compared to what other people have gotten from my research on here. My quote was 625 per window for the basic dual pane no argon no low E windows. And almost 1000 dollars a window for triple pane low e argon, I didn't even ask what krypton was as I'm sure it would have been horrible. But I saw people on here saying their price per window broke down to between 3 and 500 for the dual pane low e argon windows.

Here are what I was quoted on. 41 casement windows, 3 four panel 6'8" sliding doors, 2 three panel 6'8" sliders, 1 two panel 6'8" and 2 four panel 8' sliders. It broke down to about 30k for windows and 19k for the doors. But I felt like I was being cheated being charged almost 50k for the windows and doors when they weren't even remotely energy efficient. He professed to say they were amazing windows and would outlast and out perform any other window out there and thats why they cost so much. He also said "I'm the cheapest installer in the country, you won't find a cheaper okna window than through me". Idk the whole thing just felt a little shady to me. I also asked about swapping the 8 foot sliders for french and he said "no no no french doors would be way more expensive" But I have always found french to be cheaper than sliders in other applications.

So what are your recommendations for a good dp50 at least rated casement window and sliding door replacement for this house, that are good windows but won't break the bank ( was thinking more 25-30k for it all and have low e and argon, not 50k for base windows and doors) ? its waterfront but not oceanfront. Its fairly protected water but hurricanes still hit and we do get nasty nor'easters. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Okna windows?

Where is the home located and what type of install was being specified (full tear out or insert)?

He is correct in that French Doors are more expensive by a pretty good margin than sliders.

If you are buying the home to flip, it might be a tougher rationalization to put the nicer window in, however, the extra 4-5K might be worth it for a window that shows much better, has cleaner lines, and better ultimate performance.

o

I would not order through them. We have had nothing but problems with this company so far. We went through their representative in our area, only to find out they fired him and our windows were not ordered, (And we found out the week they were supposed to be delivered.) After much hassle we ordered directly through the company and were promised we would receive them no later than August 25th, well here it is the 27th, and we were just notified this morning, that they have not even been made. I would never recommend this company to anyone building a home or replacing windows. We are now 5 weeks behind in our home construction solely due to this company.

So at this point I do not care how nice their windows are,, because the amount of money we have wasted in time and effort I wish I had just gone with Marvin.

This post was edited by jenniekehr on Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 9:05

o

jenniekehr, your response scares me. I've been researching windows for a month now and have heard nothing bad about Okna until now. I'm just about ready to order them for my house. Hopefully your situation is an isolated one. Anyone else have thoughts about that?

RTawp1509, here's some info about a quote I got near Indianapolis, Indiana. 14 Okna 800 windows (their top line) with triple pane XR-9 glass with low E and argon. Cash and carry price was $8250 ($589 per window). I was told they would charge $3500 to install making it a total of $839 per window. Do you know which line of Okna windows you were quoted?

o

Jennie,

You were dealing with a vendor?

Okna does not deal directly with homeowners or even home builders.

Okna has, on a very few selected occasions, fulfilled orders for people that were promised product by a vendor that may have gone out of business or had the product pulled from them.

I have only heard of this on a couple of occasions and it was done as a courtesy to the client.

Please feel free to email me directly with your information and I will see what I can do on my end of things.

You can email me via the link on GardenWeb.

Thank you.

o

I'm thinking there's more to this story. The original dealer didn't place the order, so obviously Okna couldn't build an order they didn't get.

As to Okna agreeing to sell the windows directly to the homeowner, that would require that the windows be paid for in full, in advance I would assume. So have the windows been paid for? If the windows have been paid for, and the order sizes, specs, etc... were delivered to Okna, then it's on them.

o

Ultra Windows,

I was on the phone with them yesterday and they don't sell direct.

Sounds like this might have been a dealer issue as well.

I haven't hear from Jennie so I will wait for her email.

o

That's pretty much what I expected. Okna has a great reputation for a reason, and while they make mistakes, I'd be shocked if they were this egregious.

Now, if I could just get Okna into Texas!

o

They were quoting me on the 700 series casement. With just dual pane windows. No low e, no argon gas. To add that would have raised the price from 50k to almost 70k. Which I just think is crazy, I can't even begin to think what he was going to charge for triple pane krypton (which is what I wanted). The install would have been a replacement window, not a new construction window with flange. The house is ICF (insulated concrete form) construction so they would just cut out the windows and put in new to fit the hole, spray foam around the windows, then wrap and caulk. I wasn't happy with that really either but he said it was "reliable"

I have no problem spending money on this house, while it is a flip, Its my companies name selling the house and I strive to make sure thats a positive thing, IM putting 100k in this house just to replace things that a new owner won't have to (roof, windows, hurricane shutters, pool liner, complete hvac, etc) the total budget for the flip is 300k, but there comes a point on any project that the cost doesn't add much to the resale, as long as they are DP50, low e 366, and argon gas, Im happy. Thats a huge upgrade from whats currently there. The house is a modern design so clean lines and simple are what I'm going for, so a nice white vinyl casement window fits that bill quite well.

This post was edited by RTawp1509 on Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 5:11

o

That price delta from clear glass to Low-e is a bit of a jump to be honest. I wouldn't think it would normally be that much.

Where is the home located again?

The tear out on an ICF is a bit more difficult than a standard wood out but not terribly more time consuming.

o

House is on the eastern shore of Va. Its view is a little canal that takes you out to the chesapeake. The 20k jump is to upgrade all windows and doors to low e argon. I thought that was ridicules. I have another company quoting me simonton storm breakers. It may be cheaper to just to install impact windows than replace the shudders and put regular windows in so we will see. Still have to figure out the doors, but at least I get the windows done.

Also just curious to see what the experts think. Our local window world offers an impact window, not just a laminated glass window, but an actual tested and approved impact hurricane window made by alside. Im not normally a fan of the "189 window" especially on a house of this caliber. but is the quality about the same would you guess to a comparable simonton vinyl impact window? Again these are only for picture or casement windows, I have researched horrible things about window world double hung, but not sure if the same applies to casement or impact rated from them. Thanks!

This post was edited by RTawp1509 on Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 21:41

o

As it pertains to the WW "Impact" window, I would rather have a well engineered window with laminated glass than a mediocre window with an "impact" rating.

o

Why not just contact Windows on Washington
Directly; great company and Eric can arrange to sell you Okna directly

o

selling directly is great except I have no one to install them then.

What would be your opinion of a well engineered laminated window then?

o

Eric also has some of the best installers on the east coast. I dont want to speak for him but i would think he would be more than happy to take care of the installation as well. Why not give Windows on Washington a call and talk with them.

o

+1 on contacting WoW. Maybe he is able to help you, maybe not, but it is definitely worth reaching out. Top notch outfit over there.

o

I never got an email sorry. Yes we paid for them in full after the disaster with their dealer. Here we are now 6 weeks after paying and we still do not have windows from them. I am beyond frustrated in dealing with them, due to the lack of customer service. We have been told multiple times, by Voytek, the head of the company that the windows are done, only to find out they have not even started production.

So they said we will have them next Thursday, but we have been told that at least 4 times. So I will believe it when they actually show up.

o

Well signed the dotted line tonight to Go with Pella 350 series windows and sliders, I know pella is a bit of a dirty word to the window forums, But it seems all people talk about are the double hung windows not the casement. There was no 2 hour sales pitch or anything, He understood Im a developer not a home owner, Which I was very happy with and gave him a leg up, everyone else that came in the house made me sit through some video and then show me their window just to then slap me with a huge bill. I just need a good product. With a good name behind it. He came in, Told me what he offered, I told him what I wanted, he measured then told me I would hear from him in a couple days, and that was that. No sales pitch, no high pressure sign right now or double the price ,etc. The windows seemed in line with everyone else as far as energy efficiency. I also was able to get their version of an impact window called "hurricane shield" so over all I'm a happy camper. Pricing was more than I was looking to spend but when I compared impact glass vs new windows and new shutters, the impact windows actually came in cheaper, and it was still cheaper than onka low e argon windows. Where I would have to get shudders done on top of them. I was happy to go with pella, Onka also doesn't make an impact window so after my pricing research was done to properly protect this house, they wouldn't work for me anyway. Appreciate the help from the forum however.

This post was edited by RTawp1509 on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 21:01

o

Even though it's not a window the pros here recommend, it sounds like you got the right window for your situation, and that's what this forum is all about. You did your due diligence and considered the options. You're far more likely to be satisfied with the finished project as a result. Best wishes on your project.

o

Jennie,

Feel free to email me directly so that I can follow on your account.

I can provide some internal assistance is sorting this out and making sure you get the windows.

Eric at Windows on Washington.

o

We are also having significant difficulties with a fairly large delayed order from Okna. I am highly suspicious that something is not right. We have been delayed for about two months now, with the answer always being that there was a 'factory move' which has delayed our order. Frankly, I'm trying to figure out if this is true or not, and whether this is the result of a problem with our local Okna Dealer or actually a factory issue. Am waiting on a call back directly from the factory tomorrow to see if things are true or not. But please, if you are thinking of ordering Okna Windows, do not do so until we know if there is a broader issue with the company based on my situation and other other frustrated homeowner. Something just doens't feel right to me.

o

I order hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of product from Okna every year and have never experienced a delay. I can vouch for the fact that they are indeed in the midst of a factory move (expanding to a MUCH larger facility due to tremendous growth), however even with that I have seen no delays. I would strongly lean toward dealer issues with both your situation and the one above with Jennie. I'd encourage you to drop Eric at Windows on Washington a line as well.

o

Pete,

Please feel free to email me via the board here.

As HomeSealed stated, they are in the midst of a factory move right now but there is no reason that it should delay product out to the 10 week mark. That is most certainly a dealer specific issue.

We just missed a ship date this week and that was the first one yet and it wound up taking the materials from a 2 week, to a 3 week turn around.

As a company (Windows on Washington), we are backed up about 8 weeks but we are communicating this to our clients.

If someone is telling you 10 weeks, they are not taking ownership over the timetable from a dealer standpoint.

Okna is still returning orders to us in 2-3 weeks for non-specialty items (i.e. laminated glass, tempered glass, and large palladians do take a bit longer).

Please feel free to email or call me and I will get you directed to the right people and some answers. If you don't hear from me in 24 hours, I may not have gotten the email.

Eric

o

Thanks for the offers for help here Windows on Washington and Homesealed. We have done some digging, recieved email responses from someone at the factory and also have secured a discount now from our dealer. The promise is now that we will have the windows shipped in 2 weeks. Not sure if I will ever get the full story on the reasons behind the extent of the delay, but the factory move has been cited by both the factory representative and the dealer. Might just be one of a couple of reasons, but we are keeping our fingers crossed.

I'm remain very positive in terms of my expectation on high quality windows....but not real thrilled with the dealer we are using.

o

Thanks for the update Pete.

Keep us posted how they come in.

Eric

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here