Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rtawp1509

Okna windows?

RTawp1509
9 years ago

So I bought a flip house on the water and am looking at replacing its 30 year old "weather shield" windows and doors with something more updated looking, weather ready and energy efficient. Most of the existing windows are ok, but a lot of the wood frames have rotted out and leak water, Also the doors are in horrible shape, none of them shut tight and have air gaps all over the place. So I figure new all around is in order.

The house has shutters so I dont need to do impact glass. But want to do at least DP50 rated and be energy efficient. The dealer came out and quoted me okna windows. I have never heard of the brand but he professed to say they were the best windows in the world. Pella, PGT, Andersen etc couldn't touch them as far as quality or energy efficiency. While it looks like their triple pane krypton window has a great rating at 0.15. The rest of the windows seem right in line with everybody else.

My quote today seemed OUTRAGEOUS compared to what other people have gotten from my research on here. My quote was 625 per window for the basic dual pane no argon no low E windows. And almost 1000 dollars a window for triple pane low e argon, I didn't even ask what krypton was as I'm sure it would have been horrible. But I saw people on here saying their price per window broke down to between 3 and 500 for the dual pane low e argon windows.

Here are what I was quoted on. 41 casement windows, 3 four panel 6'8" sliding doors, 2 three panel 6'8" sliders, 1 two panel 6'8" and 2 four panel 8' sliders. It broke down to about 30k for windows and 19k for the doors. But I felt like I was being cheated being charged almost 50k for the windows and doors when they weren't even remotely energy efficient. He professed to say they were amazing windows and would outlast and out perform any other window out there and thats why they cost so much. He also said "I'm the cheapest installer in the country, you won't find a cheaper okna window than through me". Idk the whole thing just felt a little shady to me. I also asked about swapping the 8 foot sliders for french and he said "no no no french doors would be way more expensive" But I have always found french to be cheaper than sliders in other applications.

So what are your recommendations for a good dp50 at least rated casement window and sliding door replacement for this house, that are good windows but won't break the bank ( was thinking more 25-30k for it all and have low e and argon, not 50k for base windows and doors) ? its waterfront but not oceanfront. Its fairly protected water but hurricanes still hit and we do get nasty nor'easters. Thanks!

Comments (69)

• PeteDyke
    9 years ago

We are also having significant difficulties with a fairly large delayed order from Okna. I am highly suspicious that something is not right. We have been delayed for about two months now, with the answer always being that there was a 'factory move' which has delayed our order. Frankly, I'm trying to figure out if this is true or not, and whether this is the result of a problem with our local Okna Dealer or actually a factory issue. Am waiting on a call back directly from the factory tomorrow to see if things are true or not. But please, if you are thinking of ordering Okna Windows, do not do so until we know if there is a broader issue with the company based on my situation and other other frustrated homeowner. Something just doens't feel right to me.

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

I order hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of product from Okna every year and have never experienced a delay. I can vouch for the fact that they are indeed in the midst of a factory move (expanding to a MUCH larger facility due to tremendous growth), however even with that I have seen no delays. I would strongly lean toward dealer issues with both your situation and the one above with Jennie. I'd encourage you to drop Eric at Windows on Washington a line as well.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Pete,

Please feel free to email me via the board here.

As HomeSealed stated, they are in the midst of a factory move right now but there is no reason that it should delay product out to the 10 week mark. That is most certainly a dealer specific issue.

We just missed a ship date this week and that was the first one yet and it wound up taking the materials from a 2 week, to a 3 week turn around.

As a company (Windows on Washington), we are backed up about 8 weeks but we are communicating this to our clients.

If someone is telling you 10 weeks, they are not taking ownership over the timetable from a dealer standpoint.

Okna is still returning orders to us in 2-3 weeks for non-specialty items (i.e. laminated glass, tempered glass, and large palladians do take a bit longer).

Please feel free to email or call me and I will get you directed to the right people and some answers. If you don't hear from me in 24 hours, I may not have gotten the email.

Eric

• PeteDyke
    9 years ago

Thanks for the offers for help here Windows on Washington and Homesealed. We have done some digging, recieved email responses from someone at the factory and also have secured a discount now from our dealer. The promise is now that we will have the windows shipped in 2 weeks. Not sure if I will ever get the full story on the reasons behind the extent of the delay, but the factory move has been cited by both the factory representative and the dealer. Might just be one of a couple of reasons, but we are keeping our fingers crossed.

I'm remain very positive in terms of my expectation on high quality windows....but not real thrilled with the dealer we are using.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Thanks for the update Pete.

Keep us posted how they come in.

Eric

• RTawp1509
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well after some weird circumstances and some less than stellar local dealer performance for pella. The doors ended up being swapped to Okna. Just placed the order (with a different dealer) and can't wait to get them in. $23,500 for Double pane low e argon installed. 11 doors in total.

The only change is and I have a feeling this is what screwed up the pella doors is that we couldn't do 4 panel doors due to the odd size of the original doors (some were like 12'6" instead of 12') so we had to order 6 foot two panel doors and put 2x6 in the middle of the rough openings then install the doors to create the 4 panel effect.

I'm a little worried how a solid panel in the middle of the doors will change the views, but not so much as now the doors will be properly installed and the structure will be back to the way it should be.

Also weight of the doors was a concern as the dealer told me Oknas weigh almost 400 pounds for a 6 foot two panel, and mulling them together then trying to bring them up 3 flights of stairs was going to be a major issue. But excited to see them in person thats for sure, can't wait to finally have a tight house instead of one that whistles every nor eater that hits.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Panels can be taken out of the doors and they won't be mulled into they are in the opening.

Sounds like it should be fine.

Post up some before and after pictures when you get a chance.

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

+1 on the mulling.
    Great product choice. Definitely one of the tightest doors on the market.

• RTawp1509
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heres a few pics I snapped really quickly while over at the project a couple weeks ago. The doors with the transom windows over are the worst. They leak like crazy and get stuck everywhere. This is my largest project so far. Cant wait to see it finished, both the doors and the house itself.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n167/fishbonejr/fishbonejr045/IMG_0001_zps3ddf344a.jpg

Heres in the basement. These are being changed to 5 foot sliders as the door was installed with out a proper header tomorrow my contractor is going to be cutting this door out, putting in a proper header and installing 2x6 structure in-between to make the opening from a large 12 foot slider to two 5 foots. Not happy with the lost view, but at least its all structurally sound now.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n167/fishbonejr/fishbonejr045/IMG_0009_zps61991104.jpg

Here is the other side of the ground floor. Right now the three panels are all fixed and its a swing out 2 panel door. Converting both of these to operating sliders, which will be really nice. There are more doors, but I need to get better pics anyway.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n167/fishbonejr/fishbonejr045/IMG_6018_zpsccf255a0.jpg

• PRO
    9 years ago

Love the view. Its going to be great when its all done.

• RTawp1509
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Starting to get the run around from okna now and getting frustrated. Ordered on the 16th of october said they would be in in 2 and a half weeks, Called yesterday and was told they won't be in to the 28th of november, and that install is 2 weeks at least after they arrive not including thanksgiving.

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

You are not getting any run around from okna, i can assure you. They are normally very quick on their turn arounds but this past month has been hectic due to Okna moving into a brand new, state of the art facility. Things are actually starting to normalize as we speak.

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

I'd say that fits the definition of runaround.

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

After reading the post, you stated on October 25th that you decided NOT to use Pella and decided to sign a contract with an okna dealer. That was October 25th, and you made the " run around " post only on November 8th ...That was about 2 weeks ago. I dont know how you can call that a " run around" in such a short period of time. In fact, its a ridiculous statement to make.
    You are also incorrect by stating you talked to okna when okna doesnt deal direct with consumers, you need to go through a select group of dealers.
    This whole thing is very strange and your statements are highly suspicious.

This post was edited by mmarse1 on Mon, Nov 10, 14 at 8:41

• PRO
    9 years ago

Okna is dealing with production slow downs right now with the move.

Our normal delivery time tables are about 2 weeks later than normal.

It should be temporary and we should be on the other side of it in about 4 weeks.

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

Big +1. This can be the most frustrating time of year for window dealers, and then throw in the fact that as mmarels mentioned Okna is still settling into their new facility (moved only a couple weeks ago).

Busiest time of year + holiday delays (short work weeks and screwed up delivery schedule) + record sales + recent move = delays.

No runaround. Frustrating yes, but legit. Fairly common this time of year regardless of who you deal with.
    2 1/2 weeks was probably pretty optimistic in the first place.

• RTawp1509
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MmArse1 Wow jump down my throat much? I posted that I switched to Okna on the 25th but signed almost a week earlier. I dont know how my statements are fishy, Im not trying to make one company look bad in favor of another, I just want my doors.

I did mistake my wording by using okna, it is my local dealer I would guess. His words to me though were that okna was giving him the run around on a lot of orders not just mine.

When I signed (on the 16th of october btw just so were 120% crystal clear here for our friend MmArse1 Please note this was said in a previous post) I told the dealer Im in a rush to get these installed, and he said no problem okna only needs 2 and a half weeks for orders and to call the office (dealers office) in that time frame to set up an install and that he would both notify the owner and note my contract that this needs to be a rush order, so I signed the contract, wrote a check for 11,525 (50% upfront) shook hands and was happy. Called to set up the install and they told me the doors won't be in till the 28th of november, which is a holiday week, and that they are 2-3 weeks out for install beyond that delivery time and won't set up an install until they have doors on site (understandable) but that they aren't sure how the holiday week will affect deliveries and they may be pushed back to the 1st for delivery. So thats where my frustration comes in to play. If the doors arrived when promised (however this was not in writing and I do go by the rules that if it isn't in writing it didn't happen) I could have had these installed before the holiday and been happy.

Should I have used a different dealer, probably, except there isn't another dealer for 300 miles, my options are, okna, pella, andersen, simonton or window world. Unless I want to find my own installer and direct order from a supplier.

This post was edited by RTawp1509 on Fri, Nov 14, 14 at 2:05

• millworkman
    9 years ago

I still believe you will be better off waiting for the Okna than settling for on of those other brands. Also it sounds more like the salesman blowing smoke than an Okna issue as I would be fairly certain that all of there dealers know well in advance of the manufacturing and delivery delays due to moving to the new facility and the holiday, well last I looked it is there every year at the same time, lol.

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

A salesman from a remodeling company told you 2 1/2 weeks , NOT okna.
    Still, its been a very short time since you signed a contract. I just dont get why you are coming on a forum an complaining about something so trivial.
    Good luck with your project .

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    9 years ago

In this case, based on all that you have stated, I would put the blame squarely and solely on the contractor who over-promised and is now forced into under-delivering. It was dumb of him to tell you he turn the project around so quickly.

Unfortunately there are too many contractors who will say whatever they must to get a contract and then disappoint the customer by not being able to deliver on their promises. I'm sorry you found such a one. As millworkman said though, you will really appreciate the Okna products once they're installed, and three years down the road probably won't even remember the delay in getting them installed. Best wishes on your project.

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

You Okna dealers sure are defensive.One of the things I learned from being married is not to decide what is trivial for another. It sounds like the contractor did not get the memo everyone else did or did not know the delays. It is normal for me to put windows in in a 2.5 week time frame and not uncommon to have the windows removed before the truck is even here. One should be in tune with there vendor and customer working on these sort of time frames. Your almost there.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Todd,

There is enough blame to go around. Okna has missed more than a couple of ship dates to us of late. Most of the delays have been pretty well advertised but not all of them.

Saying 2.5 weeks is just bad business regardless in my book unless you have the measurements logged in the system and ready to release into production.

Ultra isn't and Okna guy for the record.

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

+1. Unless you are a very small operation, its probably a week or more from the time of contract until the windows are fully confirmed and even into production.
    On delays, things come up. If they were so easy to predict there would never be delays in the first place as steps would be taken to solve the problem before it gets to that point.

@Todd: What are you saying about having "windows removed before the truck is even here" ?
    1) I assume that you are referring to a jobsite delivery by a distributor? Not possible for those that deal manufacturer direct.
    2) That's a pretty risky proposition. How often do you have to board up an opening after a window comes the wrong size, damaged, or misses the shipment? Windows should not be removed until they are checked for size and defects, let alone even arriving to the jobsite.
    Hopefully I misunderstood what you were saying.

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

My guys would NEVER remove a window unless all the windows were at the job site and and and all the window sizes were properly verified.
    Todd, where in " never never land" do you install windows?

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

I guess me and my band of fairies live in Utopia, time to change my username. Whether unprofessional or unrealistic that's how I roll. I have great faith in my supplier and customers always have been very happy. One should be upfront with customer with the issues that could arise. This is not norm but is done frequently with great success rate.Right now the norm is windows received wenseday and installed the following week. Working on a house today windows expected on Wed. And 2 jobs next week that the windows were delivered last wed. And 1 job I had the windows for a month. For me never never land would be always having windows sitting in shop 2 to 3 weeks before install. This time of year storms always stay untill driver calls. Windows come direct from manufacturer. If a window has broken glass I put in tempory glass, if a frame is broke it goes in and replaced when new arrives if wrong size I can have a temp made same or next day. These options are rarely exercised since my measurements are usually right and freight is usually undamaged.

• HomeSealed
    9 years ago

Or you could just schedule your jobs out 4 weeks instead of two so you don't expose your clients to that inconvenience. Just a suggestion. Going back to the communication thing, I've never had a client tell me that they prefer fast over RIGHT. I highly doubt that anyone would opt for getting their windows installed that 1 week sooner if the circumstances were fully explained to them. Having windows onsite and checked for size and condition before demo is installer 101.
    Do what works for you Todd, but that will come back and bite you sooner or later.

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

A install done on a short time frame does not not mean it was not done right. I am scheduled 4 weeks out and beyond, but will add jobs in between.Circumstances are always fully explained and different clients have different circumstances. Recently I have scheduled work to coincide with a family vacation, a pregnancy, a rental being turned over that had broken glass and 4 that had a time line due to a grant ending. Everyone and most before go out there way to give thanks because they know it is always not easy for me. As I said before, I am happy with my manufacturer and place great trust in them. I also have a system in place if things do go wrong. For me 101 is doing what i can for my customers.

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

Todd, most of the higher end manufacturers are running 3-5 week lead times for delivery this time of year. Then once it gets delivered, the contractor needs to install it. I dont know about others, but i am very busy and when is do the contract, i tell my customers the install will take place in 4-5 weeks.
    Of course if you install a window you purchased off the floor of a box store, you can purchase and install in one day. We dont BUY from a box store.
    On the day of installation. My guys measure each opening and make sure each window in the correct size before removing a window. Ive had some situations where a window was missing or mis sized and we install all the others but never remove the old window that corresponds to the mis sized unit. We let the customer hold a small portion of the balance( usually the cost of one window.) of course some customers try to hold the full payment just to be unreasonable but once we sit down and talk logic, they usually change their mind.

This post was edited by mmarse1 on Sun, Nov 16, 14 at 11:52

• HomeSealed
    9 years ago

Tearing open your client's home before you have product on hand and ensure that it is correct is not in their best interest, and is a procedure that would be discouraged by any professional. That's the last thing that I'll say on the subject.

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

As I said , I buy direct. Most of my windows come from Polaris . They have met all confirmation dates on all of my orders. Recently they have changed lead times on doors which they let me know in advance. Lead times will depend on day ordered of course, but it has been 2.5 to 3 weeks add another for doors. I would not rely on some company's to meet my short lead times that i sometimes need. Soft-Lite can be erratic in the winter and Simonton can be very quick depending on cut off dates.Box stores would not work since I never have jobs that could be done with stock sizes nor would they have tempered glass. I deliver windows to site and an always there at start of all jobs. Some of my jobs require the window comes out even if mistake has been made and some i will do as you and leave to correct one HSS been received. Some of my jobs probably have different requirements than most , and I do as needed.
    To some things up, I'd say the OP should be a little angry and that there contractor should have been a little more aware of what was going on with Okna.My guess is Okna made this aware to them but idk.

• RTawp1509
    Original Author
    9 years ago

True to their word the doors have a tracking number and are expected to be delivered by wednesday the 26th. On the phone they said they have me penciled in for 8th of December for install as long as everything came in the proper size and such. Which I'm happy with. If someone could tell me how to post more than imbedded photo that would be awesome as well. Im going to snap some more "befores" tomorrow.

Now when this house is settled my own house is in need of about 5 million things windows and doors included lol.

This post was edited by RTawp1509 on Mon, Nov 24, 14 at 1:10

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    9 years ago

Thanks for the update, hope all goes smoothly from here out for you. You've chosen a great product, and your patience will be rewarded.

• RTawp1509
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well install didn't happen. They showed up and said that the salesman didn't inform them that we were modifying the openings to fit the doors, and that the replacement frames wouldn't work. Thankfully they can order nail flanges to install on the existing frames so the doors dont have to be re ordered. But we need to wait for the nailing flanges to get in. IM overall happy with that though as I think thats the best way to do it. They will be basically starting over with the doors, new sills, cutting the stucco back and installing the doors as if it were new construction. Then I get the stucco guy out to finish it. Flanges should get in next week and hopefully they let me bump in line on the schedule and I dont need to wait another 2 weeks for install. The doors sure look pretty sitting in the garage though. Just Curious. On the order sticker sitting on the boxes around the doors they say "okna" but the sticker on the window says "guardian" why is that?

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Just a guess but maybe Guardian make their glass?

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

Guardian make the actual glass for Okna. NO window company makes glass. Okna orders glass in large sheets and okna utilizes robotics to cut the glass to precise measurements.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Guardian glass as stated above.

Order some plastic weld as well. Nice to mitre and weld those corners if you can.

If not, that is fine too as long as they are flashed.

• RTawp1509
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally Install has begun. Between awful weather and the holidays the install kept getting pushed back further and further. They started about mid day wednesday, They took off today for new years day and are starting back up tomorrow. Both me and my foreman have been watching their work very closely and so far so good. They have caulked, and flashed nearly everything along the way. Removed all the old doors and we went down to bare slab and rebuilt a new sill, IM very happy that this isn't just the standard "caulk and walk" job. I love the doors looks so far. They are super heavy which I just put towards their quality. Cant wait to see the rest. If anybody has any suggestions or critiques to the install IM all ears.

Heres some pics I snapped about half way done with these 2 only 9 more to go! These two doors here probably received the largest modification. This was originally a 12'6" door span with an improper header above to support the opening, the easiest way to fix this was to make them two separate 5-0 doors and build the center support to properly structure the upstairs, Before work begun with the doors I had a structural engineer out to make sure we were doing the right things.

{{gwi:2138005}}

{{gwi:2138006}}

{{gwi:2138007}}

{{gwi:2138008}}

{{gwi:2138009}}

{{gwi:2138010}}

This post was edited by RTawp1509 on Mon, Jan 5, 15 at 20:09

• PRO
    9 years ago

Looking good so far.

Happy New Year.

• RTawp1509
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any of the experts know where I can get oknas installation guide for new construction. I keep having to tell the guys what to do and I really would like to just hand them a book. Im the one that had to tell them to use the peel and stick rubber on the nail fins not just caulk. But wouldn't mind making sure my way is correct as well. Oknas website doesn't seem to have anything and they were closed last week.

• PRO
    9 years ago

RTawp,

They don't have one that I know of. I would download and hand them a copy of the Building Science Corporation new construction installation instructions or the AAMA guidelines.

• HomeSealed
    9 years ago

+1. The OSI Winteq system guidelines work well also. I know that there is a downloadable pdf of that...

If I may make one suggestion though, it would be to handle this as a delicate situation. Most experienced guys don't like being told how to do their job, so tactfully explaining your requests will go a long way. In fact, they may not necessarily be doing it wrong, but just not following the latest and greatest best-practices available which offer added levels of protection.

Even better, you might speak to the salesperson and or installation manager regarding your expectations so that things go through the "proper channels".

• RTawp1509
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK they seem to be following it mostly. As long as it seals I'm happy. I just wanted to be sure nothing was being done completely wrong. Looking at the videos from both suggested sources it looks like flashing went around the parameter of the window. We didn't do that, just caulk right on the nail fin then pressed up against bare plywood, then finally peal and stick rubber wrap over the fins. But to finish and trim it of course we will have tyvek over the wood before new stucco and trim is applied, and the tyvek will cover everything. The salesman didn't leave me with much comfort when he said "we never do nail fins" But I know everybody has their own way of doing things, me included. Both me and my foreman are Class A licensed as are the installers (subs of course) but we all have a different level of experience out in the field and our own opinions on how to do things.

They got the hardest ones done today. The two 12 foot doors in the great room done. Looking good so far, House really holds in the heat well and we only have 2 of the 6 central units active right now. Feels like we could make a 7500 sqft sauna lol.

snapped a couple quick shots today, but it was busy. this was mid morning . Much Cleaner looking. 6 down 5 more to go.

{{gwi:2138011}}

This post was edited by RTawp1509 on Tue, Jan 6, 15 at 16:10

• RTawp1509
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just a couple more pics from today. Got the master Bed done, and the mother in law suite half done, but I had to leave early today for an Insurance audit so tomorrow will be the last door and then they will trim them all up outside (inside trim work is a different sub)

Hopefully friday were 100% finished dried in and trimmed.

{{gwi:2138012}}

This one I'm a little annoyed I didn't catch. But we could have ordered doors in matching sizes as we had to redo the entire opening. But its ok, 1 2 panel and 1 3 panel still looks way better than what was there before.

{{gwi:2138013}}

• PRO
    9 years ago

Great view.

She is coming along nicely.

• RTawp1509
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Today was the last day for this crew. Doors are 100% dried in, Out door Dryvit and Trim is next and that doesn't start until next tuesday, IM also going to have them trim the windows the same way they are the doors just to get that little bit of extra water protection. They were going to start tomorrow but with wind chills going below 0* (almost unheard of out here) they called and said how about next week and I said I dont blame them. The guys today had to use a heat gun to get the wrap to stick to the doors. Overall IM very happy with the install and the next few weeks weather wise will be the test on their install. Hope they perform as good as they look. Such a nice improvement over the old doors. Still have the front door and that yucky green door to do, But I was slow in picking a style for those, Just got them ordered from therma-tru today so hopefully they get in in 3 or 4 weeks, that I'm doing myself just because I was able to get those from my own supplier.

Thanks for everyones help and letting me pick yalls brains!

Heres the final pictures I have now of the doors. I will post some more when the doors are 100%, but were probably another month or so until then. (floors and decks in as well as the trim and the rest of the exterior of the house being painted) Drywall finally started going up today too so that was nice.

this one here wasn't a super huge change, it already had a newer vinyl door in but I wanted all to match and be top quality so I said replace it. I think it was like a andersen 100 series or something in it before. But heres all the new doors in! I wish I was moving in here lol.

{{gwi:2138014}}

{{gwi:2138015}}

{{gwi:2138016}}

This is an interior of the bank of 4. I honestly love the look of them and the added support right below those I beams is just icing on the cake really. It wasn't needed but always nice to have.

{{gwi:2138017}}

This post was edited by RTawp1509 on Wed, Jan 7, 15 at 19:15

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Looks very nice, congrats and thanks for the updates!!

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

Helluva view!
    Great to hear everything is going well.

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    9 years ago

Looks great!

• Ericka Williams
    2 years ago

Sounds about right to me.