Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pella vs. Andersen windows

Posted by cindysb (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 1, 06 at 22:01

We are replacing windows in a 67 year old house. Also, need new windows for an additions. We like the Andersen renewals for the replacements and thought about also using those in the addition. The Andersen rep says this should be easy and will save alot of money. My contractor is hesitant. What about comparing Andersen vs. Pella Architect series. I was told there is class action suit against Pella because of problems with the wood clad leaking and rotting. Any info would be helpful. Should we start all over and pick another window ie. Weather Shield or Marvin?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pella vs. Andersen windows

I would look at the Marvin Integrity which is a "pultruded" (opposite of extruded) fiberglass window.

o

If your looking at the Renewal by Andersen, I'd check into some other Andersen offerings. The Renewal is a franchise replacement window division, and only offers the one window.
Andersen also offers the Woodwright Insert Replacement window, which your contractor can purchase and install. Usually for less than a Renewal unit, and better looking in my opinion. Then you could use full frame Woodwright double hungs for the addition, and the units would blend together very well. I have done this on several projects in the northeast with great success.
The Pella Architect and Marvin Ultimate are comparable to the Woodwright, but it will be harder to match the replacements to the new units. The Integrity is a decent unit, but options and sizes are limited

o

I'm also windows shopping and we're down to comparing Pella Impervia and Renewal by Andersen. Here is what I found in Seattle area where I live. I'm not sure if the business is the same elsewhere.
1) Pella Impervia is sold by a local company here and the warranty of the windows itself is seperated from installation. Actually I think Pella warranty emphasizes that if the problem (esp. water) is caused by installation they are not responsible for it.
Renewal by Andersen is sold by a company that carries only this product. The installation and products warranty comes together.
2) Both of them looks like good solid product. From the samples I see, the frame in Pella Impervia is thicker than Renewal's. The corners of Pella Impervia are miter corners and it does not look as neat as Renewal's. However that depends on your preference. My husband likes Pella's look since it looks like wood's. I like Renewal's look due to thinner frames.
3) One thing I notice in showroom is when the salesperson tried to talk to me from the other side of Renewal window, I almost didn't hear her if not paying attention. I'm not sure if that would be the same as the product you'd get though.
4) Price. I'm very surprised by Pella Impervia's price I got from Costco program. It's almost the same as quote I got from Home Depot! And HD sells Simonton windows. I haven't got the price from Renewal yet.
5) Installation. Both companies would cut the house sidings for installation, but Pella would replace both lining and interior trim which is nice. Exterior trim that would be added as part of installation is cedar for Pella, and the Fibrex, which is the material used for frame, for Renewal.
6) NFRC rating. This is what puzzled me. Pella was unable to give me the NFRC rating of what they proposed. Renewal has no problem with that according to local owner, though I haven't got the actual rating since I haven't met the rep.
7) I have visited a house with Pella Impervia installed and the workmanship is very good. I haven't seen installation by Renewal.
I think Pella's class action lawsuit is for specific type of its windows product. You can google 'Pella class action' to see more detail, but I don't think that would effect my decision on purchasing Pella or not.
If you find out about the pros/cons of these two products, I'd appreciate sharing of info here.

o
RE: Mike35 Hello?

It has been said elsewhere in this forum that the Pella Architect, Marvin Ultimate and Anderson Woodwright windows are comparable. I'm looking for new window units (mostly DH, fixed grills w/SDL) for a barn conversion/renovation project here in Massachusetts and wanted to better understand comparisson of these 3 manufacturers and Jeld Wen (Norco)in terms of construction, performance & price. I like the versatility of a wood exterior but also attracted to the low maintenance clad option too. I'd appreciate any insight/direct experience.

o

Yes, they are all pretty comparable, depending on the options you are looking for. I think the Renewal will come back higher than the Impervia, as it's not intended to compete against the hollow vinyl products as well as the Impervia product. The Renewal has a stain grade interior, while the Impervia has a molded in color. Both are good units, just depends on what you want for options.
Andersen also offers a Woodwright Insert window, that can be purchased by general contractors. They tend to come in cheaper than Renewal as well.

o

Eee! We just had Renewal come out to give us a quote to do insert replacements in our 41 windows. I was just starting to realize that Renewal was a franchise and that we weren't seeing the full Andersen line, and now mike35 has verified it. Thanks! Although, it throws another product in the mix for us to wade through.

o

DO NOT GET PELLA!....my background is in construction engineering which is why i spec'd pella windows when i designed and had my home built in 1991.....within 5 years some doors and windows started signs of leaking....i called over the past 120 years and was told there was only a year warrenty on all 50 windows and 5 doors and i'd have to pay for relacement so should just caulk the leaky areas myself....my contractor caulked but that lasts only 1-2 years....now at least 15 windows are leaking where glass meets metal cladding and one window has extensive dry rot....others on the web have experienced rotting pella windows....the local company said they will come out to look ONLY if i pay $95 an hour for their visit!!!!....i sent them pics and they refuse to even look at the problem areas without being paid....CAN ANYONE HELP ME????....this is totally ridiculous!!!!.....

Here is a link that might be useful: http://memberdirectory.aol.com/aolus/profile?urlman=sn%3Drockrosey%26req%3Dvp

o

i can't believe this is even a debate. i mean pella vs. anderson is like asking which is better: a broken arm or a broken leg? the fact is marvin, anderson, pella, simonton and any other big box window manufacturers produce cheap, low cost products for the masses. they truly are the wal-mart of windows. has anyone ever had omaha steaks? can you buy them at wal-mart? no! why? because it's a specialty product that can only be purchased from a specialty shop. in other words: if you want REAL quality you have to go to a distributor that can offer it. not a contractor that uses lowes as their main distributor. many people exclaim: "how can any of these companies that have billions in profits each year be making a bad product?" the answer is simple: how many high quality products does wal-mart sell? companies like these only sell crap because they want to sell you more crap very soon. the only way to do that is by convincing you that the brand name you bought means more than actual research, or facts pertaining to their products. the point is if you want real quality shop polaris, thv compozit, northstar, or even schuco (schuco may take forever to deliver, but they do have a great product).

o

loboblanco,
Are you for real? I just felt like I sat through an info-mercial about magic carpet cleaner. I need to take a shower to get that grime off of me.
That post was laughable.

o

loboblanco,

You revived a year-old thread so that you could, rather agressively, give your opinion...I would be curious to see how you would support that opinion.

And btw, the wait for Schuco is going to be really long in the future since they are going out of business.

o

Best of the Best!!! 2008

Best framing/sash material: Andersens Renewal Fibrex $32 million to research and develop the next generation of maintenance free profile

Best Glazing System: Gilkey Window System 10 with Heat Mirror R10 insulation with Cardinal 172 low-e2 with krypton gass and Southwall HM77 film (awesome stuff)

Best Screen: Andersen's TrueScene (virtually invisible!)

Best Spacer: Edgetechs Super Spacer No metal/100% silicone space system allows for Warmest edge spacer. You can have a "rain forest" in your home with NO CONDENSATION!

Best Grille: Pella's Integral Lite technology Most authentic TDL available in a window today

If someone could incorporate all these into one window we would truly have a super window!!!!!!

stay tuned more to come..........

o

Loboblanco;
You forgot to mention that Schuco just recently shut down all U.S. operations and went back to Europe because they couldn't get enough business. They also are no longer warrantying any of there products in North America. I know this because the company I work for used to sell them and now we have to tell customers "sorry they shut down, and wont back up there products or send parts anymore" when they need service. Glad we dropped them a few years back cause they last about 5-10 years and I was replacing them constantly. Vinyl is definitely not final

o

cindysb,
DEFINITELY Andersen!! I have sold LOTS of Andersens to people replacing rotted WeatherShield, Pella and Fine Finish windows. Andersen is the only vinyl clad wood window I know of on the market. They are unphased by harsh environments whereas aluminum clad wood windows are not. Salt air close by will destroy aluminum cladding in a few years! and none are adhered to the wood structure as vinyl cladding can be. Go look at displays of each, tap on the sides of the aluminum clad windows and listen to the sound changes. These are air gaps between the wood & the cladding where moisture can condense to rot the wood, give mold a home to grow in, oxidize the back of the aluminum or all of these. Do the same with an Andersen. There are good reasons Andersen has been building windows longer than anyone else. No gimmicks! Just solid products with intelligent options. They are not trying to please everyone, just trying to build the best windows and patio doors. I think they do, that's why I own Andersen and sell them.

o

I prefer Andersen to Pella mostly because I am not completely sold on the aluminum cladding of Pella's product. In colder climates the alumimum cladding could allow condensation and moisture to develope between the wood and the colder alumimum. I have seen the Renewal product on many homes and in fact with the matte finish it does resemble painted wood and of course no possibility of condensation or moisture problems. Andersens Fibrex is an amazing product which is now standard on all Andersen hinged patio door sills, in the Woodwright series and of course Renewal's complete line.

o

Just looked at both Anderson Renewal and Pella Impervia today. The Renewal is quite a bit more expensive. Any experience or pinions about the fiberglass Impervia. As this is a fairly new material (Duracast), I wonder if some of your Pella concerns really apply?

o

Since you are dealing with the 2 "big boys" Pella and Andersen, you propably will be satisfied with both products as long as you get a good install. I prefer the Renewal product over the Impervia simply because it looks better. The Impervia product is not a real attractive window. The weatherstripping shows since it is on the jamb frame and the surface of the material Duracast is very rough to the touch.

o
Thanks

Good advise.

o

I read through all these posts about Renewal by Andersen and talked with some folks I knew. I decided that the thing that mattered to me most was the install. I can't get my usual handy-guy on the hook to do the window replacements, and with all the rot (old aluminum windows in a 1951 house) I needed to hire somebody.
The Andersen sales rep came by and my gut response reminded me of George Carlin's skit, "some people are stupid" ("and then there are those that are full of s..."). HOWEVER, by the time we finished I had secured a price that was 'only' ~200$ more per window than the competition (for high-end windows), and I was sick of the process, so I signed up.
What made me buy in? The installation and warranties really did give me some peace of mind, whereas the big box stores and Pella really didn't make me comfortable on the install side of things. If I had more time and energy I might have looked for a better deal...
So, I'll let you y'all know how it goes - they should install in early August. Be aware though, if the Renewal by Andersen guy comes over, he will pressure you to make a sale.

o

Okay, nickh, and anyone else who installed windows this summer, what do you think about your windows now? After considering Pella Impervia, Anderson 200, Wallside, Sunrise, we just ordered Renewal by Anderson for 18 windows (1956 brick ranch) yesterday; should be here in 5 weeks.
Any comments?
Pat
SE Michigan

o

Just got a quote from Renewal from the Regional Manager who came out for 16 windows for $21,000! Is that the going rate for Renewal? Knowledgable guy and no pressure, but 21K? No other windows I have seen yet come close to the quality or technology but is that the going rate in this class of window and is Marvin or Pella that comparable?
Thanks!

o

Novell_Dude, a friend of mine paid about $1,100 per window for Andersen replacements, but I don't know what specific model. And that was 5 years ago.

Unfortunately, the Consumer Report ratings I've been reviewing have only the window prices, not the installation costs.

o
RE: Pella vs. Andersen vs. Harvey windows

I have not read anything about Harvey windows. I purchased some over 5 years ago and did a lot of research at the time. For the money they were a great deal compared to Anderson, which is a good window but you are paying for the name. I'm extremely happy with Harvey!

o

I am looking at Renewal by Andersen and would like to have some feedback by those who have already had theirs installed. Do you love what you got? Was it worth the higher price to have them install?

I am also going to look at Marvin windows. Haven't gotten around to Pella based on the negative responses by friends.

What size windows are we talking about for $21,000????

o

Mariposa...
The windows in my quote are various size casements with wood inside and Fibrex construction. Price included staining and I am finding out that $21K is not far off from the Marvin, Pella, and Rosatti quotes I have since received. Interesting that a Jeld-Wen dealer quoted about 18K for the Traditions Plus line for the whole house (again including staining). Anyone have any input for the Jeld-Wen Traditions Plus line? The sales guy did say the installation makes all of the difference and that is why he has had his same Wood install crew for 20 years...
All of the reps were very professional and the Pella, Andersen, and Marvin reps all used to work together at Pella so did not cut on each other too much! :)

o

Hope you made a good decision-- The Key is gettig triple pane glass with Krypton or at a minumum Argon filled-- and a UV protector-- specifically Solarban 60 or 70 to stop the fading-- so many windows are sold because of the name or ease of purchasing from a local company-- you may want to talk to Jeld Wen-- the Energy Star Partner of the Year for 2008

o

My builder is pushing Harvey windows, which I have never heard of. He says they have a model with a wood interior and vinyl exterior similar to the Anderson 400 series. I have an old house and want to achieve a similar look to the existing wood windows. The Woodwright was beautiful but expensive. Can anyone give me some feedback on Harvey windows? I am going to a showroom to see them on Saturday.

o
RE: Renewal by Andersen windows

I'm chiming in as a very satisfied Renewal by Andersen customer. We replaced all 25 of our windows with Renewal by Andersen -- half one year and half the next. On average they were $1,000 each and we think well worth it. We chose the deepest available windowsills for most of them, and on ones over 36" wide, we chose to have two latches. We also chose the widest available interior trim because it looked best to us.

Renewal has both "full replacements," for which they remove all woodwork and put in all new woodwork; and what I call pop-ins, for which they leave the old woodwork/trim in place and just put in an insert. On the second go-round, at the back of the house, we did some pop-ins, and we wish we had sprung for the ~$150 per window to go with full replacements all around.

We're very happy with the material, quality, and performance of all the windows, and the installations were a dream.

o

We recently (8/08) replaced all of our old aluminum windows 13 total, plus a slider. We bid out Anderson, Pella, Penguin, Marvin, and Renewal by Anderson. We have a one story ranch and we are surrounded by two story homes with double hung windows. We really wanted to replace the gliders with double hung. The quote we received from Renewal by Anderson was about $5000 more than any of the others. However, none of the other companies could place double hung windows in all of the openings due to egress issues. Since Renewal by Anderson is a custom made window (each window is built for the specific opening), they were able to install double hung windows in each opening. All of the other companies have stock sizes and were not able to custom fit the openings. We chose Renewal by Anderson and after the discounts ($100/window and 5% cash payment) they were only about $3000 more than the other companies. The windows are in and we are thrilled, especially with the Anderson 400 series (Renewal does not make doors) three panel slider. They look great, the outside noise was reduced incredibly, and our electric and gas bills dropped by 30% and 25% respectively. I would highly recommend Renewal by Anderson as replacement windows. They are not cheap, but they are well worth the extra money.

o

I have been a member of Consumer Reports for over 30 years. They don't promise to test everything. That simply is not possible. They test the most well-known brands and I don't believe that Bristol is a well known window manufacturer at least in my neck of the woods (SE Michigan/NW Ohio).

I notice your name....Tom Bristol...could you perchance be "biased" for this company?

o

Consumer Reports only tests products they can purchase anonymously in a retail store. The only windows that get into retail stores are very large manufacturs who can supply HD, Lowes etc. nationally. This method completely ignores companies that only make custom sizes or aren't large enough. That's what makes CF etc. a poor source for window research. There are over 1000 window manufacturers in the US alone. The handful of windows that are "tested" (and I use that term loosley) by CR etc. is so small that it hardly represents a valid sampling.

I'm not familiar with Bristol Windows but, I wouldn't make any judgements about them based on what you read or didn't read in CR. There are many windows of much higher quality than what you will read about in CR.

o

Plus the fact that there isn't any family named Bristol involved with making Bristol Windows. They are made by Winchester Industries.

o

I just spit out my coffee.

o

Well glad that you guys think it's so funny. I use CR as a research tool, thank you very much. I don't take what they say as gospel but I have yet to see anything written up accusing them of bias or improper testing. And if there are issues with their testing, they improve their techniques and post retractions.

Your lack of forum courtesy tells the reader what they need to know about your opinions.

o

Sorry you feel that way, but these are some of the more respected people on this site and there answers speak for themselves.

o

Susan,

What you fail to understand is that CR doesn't do any testing at all. For them to do anything but warn people not to purchase low end windows like American Craftsman (Silver Line)is a violation of the trust that consumers have with CR.

With over 1000 window manufacturers in just the USA, how can you think that reports on 5 or 6 windows, that are only sold through HD and Lowes, is even a large enough sample to come to any type of valid conclusion? What they are doing in effect is pushing consumers towards some of the worst products on the market. That's irresponsible IMO.

o

Sorry you feel that way, but these are some of the more respected people on this site and THEIR answers speak for themselves.

Respect != proper English usage

o

Skydawggy, CR doesn't do any testing at all? Are you serious?

I do agree that they may not test a wide selection of windows, but the magazine's target audience is most likely those who shop at Lowe's or HD. I would never consider buying a window there myself but I don't consider myself the average consumer.

The bottom line is that CR is one tool of many in deciding on any product. You cannot use them solely because they cannot review every product out there. As long as you keep that in perspective, you can make an educated decision.

o

Yes, I'm serious. All they do is look up the NFRC and AAMA ratings on the windows and then compare the results and report their findings. Think about it for a second. CR is always trying to get subscribers to contribute more than the subscription price of the magazine because they claim their costs are very high. Why would they go through the expense of setting up a wind tunnel to do water penetration and air infiltration testing and a lab to do conduction testing when NFRC and AAMA have already done it?

Again, I think it is a breach of the public trust the way they operate as it relates to windows. How many consumers do you think buy American Craftsman, Alside Ultra-Maxx, or Crestline windows thinking they are getting a quality product because CR rated them highly?

I think that other posters on here would agree that it is a tool in a very minor sense. Certainly, not one I would assign with a lot of credibility.

o

I've used Consumer Reports ever since I bought my first Toyota based on their reviews. The difference from my previous 12 years of American made cars was amazing. I've been a fan since. They are not foolproof though. I have bought other things on their recommendations that didn't work out, but the majority of times it does.

I own a Harvey window. I have hated it since 6 months after having it installed which was about 15 years ago. A contractor talked me into it against my better judgement. It is a crank out window and it is horrible to open and it gets stuck all the time. And it's ugly. And drafty near the window. Wish I could get a 'do over' on that decision.

o

Give it a break already for christs sake, i guarantee you have issues other than defective products. Even i know that and the next good thing i ever say about Pella will be the first

o

I see that this is a older blog, but just in case anyone is considering Renewal by Andersen, please read further about by nightmare experience with this company. Short story is that the salesman sold me full replacement windows for my house (he assured me they would match my existing windows), but instead wrote up the contract for cheaper insert windows (but still charged me for the full replacement). I have tried repeatedly to work with the salesman to no avail. The company is even worse in dealing with complaints. We're headed to litigation. I would appreciate any others with similar problems to let me know how you resolved your issues.

o

Renewal by Andersen, only manufactures "insert windows" or replacement windows if you will. The site even states "Renewal by Andersen" window replacement, what did you think you were buying?

o

Millworkman, I was told when the order was written that I would get custom windows that would fit my windows and match my other Andersen windows. My other windows are standard Andersen windows purchased from the local store similar to Home Depot. These windows are beautiful and energy efficient. The RBA windows are hideous and full of air leaks. I measured a temperature of 35 oF in the RBA windows during the very cold weather last week. My other Andersen windows were about 30 degrees higher.

o

Renewal by Andersen is the replacement division of andersen. There is the corp office with corporate locations and there are franchises that work under the demand of corporate guidance. They carry over a great variety of window styles and 1.5million colors. Great company with a history of success. The start to finish ownership make this choice a no brainer.

o

Spoken like Mr. Andersen himself

o

I've posted a blog about my ordeal with RBA. Read the blot and then tell me this is a "great company with a history of success". I encourage others to contact me with their problems-I've filed complaints with the BBB and Attorney General in Kansas.

Here is a link that might be useful: RBA window blog

o

I purchased Pella Impervia sliding doors (two sets of them) about a year ago and am very pleased with them. I purchased them from a Pella dealer. I believe it is just as important to get an installer who knows what he or she is doing and that's why I went with the Pella dealer. No problems so far. the price was cheaper than wooden sliding doors. Don't get vinyl windows. They are junk, in my opinion.

o

Moodylu,

Please feel free to disclose your qualifications that make you qualified to make a statement that vinyl windows are "junk".

o

Yes please enlighten us as I don't know much about Vinyl windows but am always looking to learn!

o

A local installer says the Certainteed Bryn Mawyer III are great - he used Anderson for a long time and switched many years ago and is glad he did....

However a family friend who is a professional installer [and is giving us a good deal -- under $500 for the Anderson 200 series] feels the 200 series is fine - but go for the 400 if you can afford the $$$. After reading that the 200 series has major air leaks etc, and that Anderson has not been good with their warranties, and the the older Certainteed windows are not great [I'll be checking reviews for them next....] ... I hesitate to do ANYTHING!!! We have 50 year old Pella crank-out windows that are all ornery, but I'm ornery too... We may just scrape and paint them and get on with life...after planing off the edges so they will close.... [Actually, they are very inefficient and have gotten crummy on the inside and always have condensation in the winter...I install the clear-plastic on the insides, but this is a pain and looks 'cheap'...but helps a lot....] We will proceed with our plan to do a few now and a few more next year etc....but what is the most reasonable way to go...???

o

certainteed are made by MI Windows and they are of a very low quality; similar to american craftsman/silverline, alside, and pella vinyl.most people dont realize that Pella make a very low quality vinyl window. MI Windows also make cutting edge and Xact; all poorly designed and flimsy meant for rental properties. same goes for lowes windows such as reliabilt.
Most experienced window professionlas who know the industry will recommend gorell, Polaris, Sunrise, Okna,and Soft Lite.
premium grade vinyl easily outperform wood windows. just need to buy quality.

they are the top 5 in the north east and all 5 are known for being very energy efficient, very well design and enginnered with very good customer service and quality control.
Consumer Reports should never be used to make a buying decision on windows. they just randomly select windows off the floor of building supply houses and retail outlets and then only rate them based on nfrc performance numbers.
first off, they fail to look at the poor design of most of those products and second of all most if not all have very poor NFRC rating compared to the higher end windows that consumer reports does'nt have access to because they are not sold in retail outlets.

o

Interesting how whenever someone creates a blog or website regarding the quality of Andersen or Pella windows that within a very short period of time it's taken down as is the Buglady502 post above. I guess the Andersen Lawyers are doing their job.

o

I have had andersen windows and doors in my house for 20 years and not a problem. I am thinking about going with the andersen again but am in no hurry because none of my windows leak or is rotten. just looking to upgrade. they might be a little more expensive but they are worth it. probably the last window you will ever need. I used the andersen slimline.

o

Renewal uses their own crew to install their windows. Your contractor does not make a profit from this but insist on Andersen anyway. All renovations in our house included the Renewal specification. Replaced all of the leaky metal casement widows in our house with the Renewal Casements. They operate smoothly, never leak rain, cold or hot air and are so well made that you can not hear the pouring rain. The company honors their warranty and replaces parts if needed years after you purchase your windows. Fibrex is great. It can be cleaned with a damp sponge, needs no painting and looks like wood. It does not feel anything like regular vinyl windows.

o

If the RBA window is so great...why do you need to spam for them.

You just registered today and are posting this garbage up.

What is the Warranty on that window...10 years. Wow! If it is so much better than vinyl, why the lesser warranty. Are you inferring that other manufacturers don't honor theirs?

Stop spamming you dopes.

How about thermal data, design pressure, air leakage?

o
RE: Pella vs. Andersen vs. Marvin

Someone above on the list was considering Marvin windows rather than Pella or Andersen.We had very expensive Marvin windows installed when we built our house is 1991. Since then, we have had constant problems and expense. Several of the sashes rotted in just a couple of years--and these were the clad "lifeitme" windows! We picked them because they were supposed tilt in so you can clean the outside of each double sash from indoors... but it takes two strong men and a custom-built rod to get these windows tilted. The springs that balance the sashes are seriously under-engineered and we have a few break every year. Marvin's rep calls these "zingers," when the retaining fixture shoots up the side of the window and takes the skin off the outer side of your hand. Now we are going through our second set of window replacements, to the tune of about $12,000. Marvin did not stand by their supposed warranty for the first set of window replacements so we are not even asking them to chip in on the current round. Stay as far from Marvin windows as you can... there cannot possibly be worse windows on the market!

o

A little bit of advice for anyone considering installing Pella Clad Windows: Do not put these in your house unless you want to replace then in 10 years or less. We built a new home in 2001 and installed Pella casement windows. When we installed these windows we thought that we were installing a quality product. We are now having to replace these windows because they are rotting. We have looked at the Anderson Renewal and Sunrise Apex replacement windows and I think we have decided to go with the Sunrise Apex because of the quality, warranty and the u-factor. Plus the salesman was not high pressure and he participates in the installation of the windows.

o

We had Renewal by Anderson installed a little over 5 years ago and are very unhappy with the installation and now are having problems with leaking.

o

OK.... I came to this forum looking for average price for Renewal by Andersen window (installed) and found that our average of roughly $1,000 each seems typical. My experience is this --- I had a local franchise firm (with excellent reputation) install 20 Renewal windows, of various sizes, on the rear side of the house 5 years ago. We've been very pleased. So, I just had them come and do the front side of the house (12 more windows). While the quality of Renewal by Andersen windows is without question superb, the integrity, craftsmanship, and attention to detail of the installation firm (local franchise) and its work crew is also of ABSOLUTELY VITAL importance. For those who come to this forum asking "Which is the better window?", I think you are looking with only one eyeball. Open the other eye and find out as much as you can about your local firm and their work crew members they are proposing!!! Ask for names of past clients in your neighborhood and then go talk to them about their experience. If possible, try to lock in a crew leader or chief that has a sterling reputation. Correctly doing all the tear out, wood repair, trim fabrication, trim cutting and wrapping, caulking, etc., etc., has absolutely nothing to do with Andersen's factory manufacturing quality of the window itself. These are solely a function of your local installer and it is a complicated craft, if not an art. Both of our crew leaders were fabulous, but several assistants had much less experience. Crew mistakes can and will happen and you MUST have an expert crew leader to prevent them or fix craftsman errors when they do occur. In short, do your homework on the local firm and their proposed crew -- not just the window manufacturer!

o

OK.... I came to this forum looking for average price for Renewal by Andersen window (installed) and found that our average of roughly $1,000 each seems typical. My experience is this --- I had a local franchise firm (with excellent reputation) install 20 Renewal windows, of various sizes, on the rear side of the house 5 years ago. We've been very pleased. So, I just had them come and do the front side of the house (12 more windows). While the quality of Renewal by Andersen windows is without question superb, the integrity, craftsmanship, and attention to detail of the installation firm (local franchise) and its work crew is also of ABSOLUTELY VITAL importance. For those who come to this forum asking "Which is the better window?", I think you are looking with only one eyeball. Open the other eye and find out as much as you can about your local firm and their work crew members they are proposing!!! Ask for names of past clients in your neighborhood and then go talk to them about their experience. If possible, try to lock in a crew leader or chief that has a sterling reputation. Correctly doing all the tear out, wood repair, trim fabrication, trim cutting and wrapping, caulking, etc., etc., has absolutely nothing to do with Andersen's factory manufacturing quality of the window itself. These are solely a function of your local installer and it is a complicated craft, if not an art. Both of our crew leaders were fabulous, but several assistants had much less experience. Crew mistakes can and will happen and you MUST have an expert crew leader to prevent them or fix craftsman errors when they do occur. In short, do your homework on the local firm and their proposed crew -- not just the window manufacturer!

o

So Songbill - why don't you tell us who this wonderful franchisee is? Did you get competitive prices for Andersen windows from anyone else? Were they higher or lower?

o

Don't feed the trolls dennisgli.....

You are I both know that Songbill is a complete spammer. Registered on the 13th and made this wonderful post on the same day.

Ask yourself folks, if you are future window consumers, do you want to do business with a company that has to manufacture so-called "happy customers"....?

I think that speaks volumes about the company and tells you everything that you need to know.

o

Renewal by Andersen windows are nothing but way over priced vinyl, the only differance between buying buying windows from a place that sells vinyl like window nation and buying windows from Andersen, is the Andersen window will run you around 20,000 dollars, all they are made from in vinyl with a little wooden fiber mixed inside, and then they wrap it around what they call reclaimed wood , but really it's just saw dust mixed with glue. It cost's Andersen around $300.00 Dollars to make a double hung window, then they turn around and sell it to you for 1500.00 installed, that's a 400 percant mark up, if you buy them at home depo you pay around 1000.00, that's still a 700.00 dollar profit for a vinyl window they pass off as something differant, and their warranty they tell you it is a 2-10-20 year , but the truth is the only thing that is covered for 20-years is the glass, and that's because glass will never go bad unless you break it. If you just go out and get vinyl you can replace them like ten-times before it would cost you as much as Andersen charges. And the sales people they will put you under so much pressure when they come to your house you will fell like your going to have a heart attack, they push and push and push and lie, and will do almost anything to con you into buying what are really only just vinyl windows, if you make the mistake of buying from Andersen make sure you read the fine print on the warranty because it's just a con game, and don't even think they will come out and fix something for free, because they will try and gett out of every thing they can once they get you to buy the windows Andersen know your stuck with them, and forget about trying to clean them, they claim that the windows are easy to clean, maybe for the first year, and then they will break every time. So do your selfs a big favoir and buy somewhere eles. How do I know these things because I have worked for them and I hear people complain about this all the time, I know how everything at Andersen works, and I just can't bear to watch this company take advantage of people anymore, it makes me sick, and if your smart you will spend your money on something else, because Andersen windows are nothing but way over priced vinyl. Oh and if you have a problum, and you decied well I will just not send my payment untill they fix it, Andersen will houn d you and hound you untill you go crazy,Andersen is one-of the most unethical shifty con-artest type companys you will ever hear about, and will take advatage of you every chance they get, they see a mark and they take the mark down, just like a con-man would.

o

Andersen will ripp you off, do not buy Andersen windows, they are one-of-the most unethical companys in the U.S.A, and the windows they offer are just way over priced vinyl, and they mark them up about 400 percent, and then try and convince you that buying their windows will save you money, don't believe the Andersen reps, really they are just salesmen, they call them reps because it sounds better, do yourself a service and find another window, you will save money and a big headache, Renewal by Andersen is nothing but a big con, and if you buy from them your going to be their mark, don't do it.

o

That information is so old and has been completely and thoroughly debunked so many times that I'm amazed that anyone still thinks it has any value. Most of the time it comes up is when an RBA salesman is trying to justify an outrageous price for their average performing product.

o

Just my 2 cents to the Renewal Controversy. Renewal by Andersen is a FRANCHISE business and the individual offices are not owned by Andersen. So installation quality is dependent on the actual installers the franchisee contracts out the installation to.

The price of the Renewal product is very high compared to a solid vinyl window. Renewal windows have at least $300. PER WINDOW in advertising costs in their price to the consumer.

The "Fibrex" material used in these windows has been around for 20 years. It is nothing new. It is recycled sawdust, vinyl and epoxy. It is not any better than a top quality vinyl product. Some people have had good luck with them and some hate them.

I have 7 customers in one neighborhood (near Chester Springs PA) who were a referral chain over a 4 year period. I furnished and installed OKNA vinyl windows in all their homes and they all loved the windows and the work. They averaged $7500 per job, depending on the number of windows.

One neighbor decided the Renewal would be better because the company name is so well advertised. A year and a half after spending $30,000 for her job, the homeowner is now thinking she may have paid too much, since all the neighbors keep referring me. The Renewal product is rarely purchased other than on a "first call close" where the homeowner is mesmerized by the sales pitch, and probably has not seen anything to compare them to. I have been consulting with homeowners in the southeastern Pennsylvania market for over 30 years and give honest appraisals of your needs and offer many options. the bottom line is DO YOUR HOMEWORK !.

o

Why are you bumping up a thread that is 6 months old?

o

Hi vinylwindowguy;

Do you come to NJ to install windows? How should I contact you?

o

No matter what window you consider you should always look at the performance ratings. The numbers say a lot about a window.

This post was edited by bkhawk27 on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 8:29

o

Idiot spammer (after I had typed up a response)

o

Did you cat-nap WoW's favorite cat?

o

No way! ... This is WoW's favorite cat!

o

LMAO, and a very nice sweater as well!!!!

o

Sorry brother, it is just too good to let a masterpiece like that go to waste! :D

o

Windows on Washington's company Christmas Card 2013?

o

I am laughing out loud.

Brandon re-did that gem a little while ago and it is a keeper.

I like the Christmas Card idea.

Grumpy cat is hilarious too.

o

*laughing*

that is a big cat and a heck of a sweater!!

^5 HomeSealed!!!

o

I replaced 8 windows in 40year old home with Renewal by Anderson 7years ago and love! Did inserts on all but picture window and that was complete new install, they took off trim and restrained new and matched other perfect, and very professional, love! Now looking at patio door replace with them. Expensive, but price will include stain, etc in price, plus former client discount...we live near airport and made huge difference in noise.....would only go Renewal, Home Depot just gave me a quote of a few hundred cheaper but will not stain our wood....also Home Depot only sells Series 100 and getting higher quality from Renewal....
going to use white clad but moulding is dark wood.....thumbs up to Renewal by Anderson!

o

Keep in mind higher end vinyl will have much higher Structural numbers than any Andersen or Pella wood window. Believe it or not, Okna , Soft Lite, and Sunrise have much higher structural ratings than any of the wood windows even though they are vinyl.
They are also much more energy efficient and air tight. The same rating agency that rates Andersen and Pella also rate Okna , Sift lite, and sunrise. the performance numbers dont lie. These rating agencies are NFRC and AAMA.
Too many home owners think andersen and pella are great windows when in fact they are just good at marketing; everyone heard of them. Also, wood is not man made and its a bit more difficult to fabricate a wood window, hence the higher cost, people think wood windows are more, they must be better... Wrong !!!
Be certain to look at higher end vinyl which also look much nicer and totally different than the junk sold at home depot and lowes. Stay far away from andersen vinyl( silverline) or pella vinyl( thermalstar) in my opinion. most pro's, including myself think they are garbage andnthey look extremely cheap and flimsy. They also have ridiculously high air leakage rates.

o

Last week I had 13 Pella Impervia custom floor to ceiling tempered glass windows installed. I'm in the Dallas area and we have not only local Pella stores, but we also have a regional office as well. Pella's installers put them in. 6 days later I've discovered that 3 of the 13 leak badly at the bottom. As an aside I also have raw hardwood floors that were ready for sealing when the floor guys discovered the leaks. Pella had someone at the house in 30 minutes, he did a simple water test and said the windows were definitely faulty. This is a simple matter of really poor QUALITY CONTROL. I can push on the glass at the bottom and it gives. The only reason I used Pella was because Marvin and Anderson could not make my bar windows in fiberglass. Pella regional office has ordered 3 new windows which will take 3 weeks for delivery. In the meantime they've put a sealant to get us through. In conclusion, the SERVICE from Pella has been good, but the product itself is questionable.

o

Cyberinferno
Not to rub salt in your wound but if you did the slightest bit of research you would have found the pella impervia is not a very good window. I am not surprised by your experience.

o

My only surprise would be that it was ONLY 3 of the 13 that were defective.

o

Hello everyone!

I'd like to change the windows I have in my house on the north side first.
I've lived in the States for a year and bought a three year old house but cheaply made. The windows let the cold air come in! I'm still shocked at this poor construction.
So I've been browsing on the web and heard about Andersen windows.
I read all the comments on this link but I'm still lost.
A builder in my area came to check my windows and said they are really the cheapest.
What can I buy to replace those terrible windows since I don't want to spend money on electric bill and still be cold in the winter?
Thank you all for your help.

Remember : English is not my mother tongue so please no short words like RBCDJT lol I won't understand anything. Thank you

o

Where are you located Matata?

Window offerings can be regional and what type of material were you wanting?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here