Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olivesmom_gw

New Construction: Vinyl Casements/Awning vs Single Hung?

olivesmom
10 years ago

We are getting very close to dotting down on a semi-custom, new construction home. The builder is using Milgard vinyl windows (I'm hoping for the Montecito line) and the operational type is spec'd out in the house plan. It calls out for a mix of single hung and casements. I'm wondering if the single hung windows would be better off as awning in some instances, and casements in others.

Here is the front and rear elevation and close ups of some of the windows:

Both of these windows are SH

SH as well

SH

We will be changing the exterior to give it more of a rustic/NW craftsman sort of look. All the arched windows on the front will be replaced with a square or rectangular shape.

We are in the greater Seattle area and so it rains a lot here. I'm wondering if awning wouldn't be better than single hung? Seems like they would prevent a good amount of rain from getting in when open. Do awning windows let in enough of a breeze? We probably won't have AC so I need windows that will let in plenty of air. Also, I want to preserve as much of the view as possible (at least from the back of the house) and single hugs would be distracting when open. I also dislike seeing screens from the outside of the house.

I want to avoid asking the builder for upgrades unless really necessary and so I'm wondering if I should just go with how they windows are spec'd out or request changing all SH to awning and casements? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)