Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's this piece? Can I replace?

Posted by Rufer (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 11, 12 at 20:54

Hi,
We are selling our home and in the inspection report, the buyer wants us to repair a damagesd area to a lower vinyl sash. It has been like this since we have lived here for the past 8 years and there have been no leaks.

Is there a name for this piece? It's where the sash is lifted from but also butts up against the glass. Does anyone know if there might be a replacement piece. I'm not sure if caulking will satisfy the buyer and I would rather not replace entirely.

The windows were installed in '92 but I am not sure of the maker.

There is a picture attached to this post. See the discolored area.

Thanks a lot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's this piece? Can I replace?

It's called a lift rail. I doubt you will be able to replace it as most are not detachable.

o

Ah, disappointing. Thanks for your help.

o

That is the lift rail as Eco pointed out.

It appears from the picture that the window is glazed from the interior and that the lift rail is an integral glazing bead/lift rail combination.

It should be removable but I would advise against it. It is likely going to break/chip/crack in the process and the likelihood of a replacement piece being available is slim.

I would try to polish the are in question with some cleaner or solvent.

Is it just discolored or is it actually physically damaged.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here