Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toddao123

Any new reviews on Hurd Casements?

toddao
13 years ago

We're about to begin a new build and our builder is trying to steer us toward the Hurd aluminum clad casements for our build. We had also considered Lincoln, Marvin Ingegrity and Kolbe. I know Hurd had a lot of problems and subsequent bankruptcy and were bought in Dec 2008. But the sales guy at the shop the builder uses believes these are now the best bang for the buck. I don't want to loose sleep about the windows in my house. Is there any objective evidence out there that the are now quality casement windows?

Comments (8)

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

There is nothing anyone could ever do or say that would ever convince me to use a Hurd Window. Too many crappy windows over too many years. They always say "this time it will be different". It reminds me of the Peanuts cartoon when Lucy always snatch the ball away before Charlie Brown could kick it. At some point, you just say I don't care. That's how I feel about Hurd. Lied to too many times. I'm not buying it again.

• toddao
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Skydawggy...are you an installer or a consumer? Do you have personal experience with Hurd windows? If so could you please share your experience? I really would appreciate any objective information you have about the casement windows.
    Thanks!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    13 years ago

From a contractors standpoint, I am 100% in Sky's court.

From a temporary consumer standpoint, I did have them in my previous home and they were "ok". This was a bit more than your builders grade home and as such had a better class of material in them.

As a general rule, Hurd is probably one of the more avoidable brands out there by survey of public opinion.

• willinak
    13 years ago

Hate to be a salmon here, but we've had Hurd casemant/awnings in our house for 18 yrs. with zero call-backs and nary a hint of a problem.
    That said, they went through a lot of pain over the past few years, so I don't have a present day reference.

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

Well, you are one of the lucky ones.

• toddao
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks folks. I'm not willing to take a chance. I think we'll go with Lincoln, Marvin Integrity or Kolbe depending on cost.

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

Marvin Integrity is going to be your best bet out of that group. I'd put Kolbe in second and I'd be really cautious about Lincoln. I don't have any direct experience with Lincoln but, you hear things..........

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    13 years ago

Here in Houston, Lincoln's earned a nickname; Leakin Lincolns.

That's not a compliment. I agree with skydawggy, Marvin or Kolbe would be the best options.