Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aluminum Windows?

Posted by randgalt (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 08 at 20:34

My architect is steering me towards all aluminum windows. So far, the only manufacturer I can find is Milgard (http://www.milgard.com/products/aluminum-windows/). Can anyone recommend other brands?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aluminum Windows?

Fleetwood

http://www.fleetwoodusa.com/

o

Milgard and Fleetwood are both good to look at. Another is Blomberg. It is a smallish family run company near Sacramento. No web site. Call them and they will send a nice packet. Beautiful product.

Cost-wise, it goes Milgard (lowest) - Fleetwood (mid) - Blomberg (highest). Blomberg is maybe 2x Milgard.

Both Milgard and Fleetwood offer 'thermally broken' frames. But strangely, the Milgards are not available in California... So if that is an issue for you, Fleetwood may be a better choice.

We went through this last spring. A nice thing about aluminum frames is that they are thin by comparison to other styles. So they look better in modern/contemporary designs. This is probably why your architect is steering you towards them. Ours did too.

In the end we chose Milgard, and are very happy with them. Got the dark bronze frames - which look very cool. Also got the Solar Max glass. We have a mix of casements, and sliders. Also two sliding doors - with fixed windows above them. (Vaulted ceilings.)

o

Excellent info. Thanks!

o

I've been doing the same research for the last month. Here's what i found:

International window Corp (IWC)
MI Windows (a.k.a. BetterBuilt)
Superior Windows
Milgard Aluminum
Fleetwood USA
Bonelli (in South San Francisco)
Gerkin (midwest)
Torrance Aluminum (Southern Cal)
Western Window Systems (AZ)
Lanai Windows SoCal
World West Inc.
Sunview Doors (Toronto)
Heritage Window Systems
Blomberg (Sacramento)
Oceanside Aluminum (San Diego)
All Weather Architectural (Vacaville)
Metal Window Corp (Southern Cal)
LaCantina (soCal)
VistaWall (commercial)
Arcadia (commercial & residential)
DeSCo (midwest)
All Weather (Texas)
Peerless (midwest)
NewTec Windows (IL)
Boyd (midwest)
Thermal Windows (OK)
StoreFrontDoors.net/Kawneer (commercial)
and there's another company in SoCal who makes beautiful windows and lift and slide doors...I can't recall their name...starts with a W i think...very expensive

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here