Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suris4me_gw

Opinion on Pella Sundefense option?

suris4me
14 years ago

We are trying to choose between the ProLine and the Designer windows by Pella. ProLine: we like the more contemporary design and the lower cost. Designer: we like the fact that these windows qualify for the energy credit. We were told that if we add the Sundefense coating option to the ProLine window (on the interior glass surface), they would also qualify for the energy credit. The drawback (in my mind) is that the Sundefense coating on surface 4 (the interior glass surface exposed to the house interior) can be scratched and must be cleaned with a non-ammonia glass cleaner. Other comments from the Pella salesman - we can not use a razor blade to clean a window coated with Sundefense, it would scratch. (OK, so what happens if/when it is painted in the future and paint dries on the edges? (possible scenario) How do we clean the paint off if it dries on?) I am most worried regarding the cleaning with a non-ammonia cleaner. Knowing my husband and myself, we would eventually forget and use the wrong cleaner.

Does anyone have personal experience with the Pella Sundefense option? Or have you heard about any negatives (or positives) with regard to same.

Thanks for replies,

Comments (2)