Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinion on Pella Sundefense option?

Posted by suris4me (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 4, 09 at 20:29

We are trying to choose between the ProLine and the Designer windows by Pella. ProLine: we like the more contemporary design and the lower cost. Designer: we like the fact that these windows qualify for the energy credit. We were told that if we add the Sundefense coating option to the ProLine window (on the interior glass surface), they would also qualify for the energy credit. The drawback (in my mind) is that the Sundefense coating on surface 4 (the interior glass surface exposed to the house interior) can be scratched and must be cleaned with a non-ammonia glass cleaner. Other comments from the Pella salesman - we can not use a razor blade to clean a window coated with Sundefense, it would scratch. (OK, so what happens if/when it is painted in the future and paint dries on the edges? (possible scenario) How do we clean the paint off if it dries on?) I am most worried regarding the cleaning with a non-ammonia cleaner. Knowing my husband and myself, we would eventually forget and use the wrong cleaner.

Does anyone have personal experience with the Pella Sundefense option? Or have you heard about any negatives (or positives) with regard to same.

Thanks for replies,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinion on Pella Sundefense option?

We have Pella impact/insulshield windows that we had put in our new home one year ago. We have had nothing but trouble from the Pella windows...leaking, scratched. The customer service has been absolutely horrible. We are just thankful that it is still our builder who is having to fight Pella every step of the way. I could go on and on but since I don't have any personal experience with Sundefense I am already not directly answering your question. Just wanted to give my two cents on Pella.

o
RE: Opinion on Pella Sundefense option?

My husband and I are also considering Pella 450 Proline series casement windows with the SunDense option for our remodeling project. On Proline windows, the SunDefense/Low-E coating is on the INSIDE of the insulated glass pane, which is inaccessible.
On the Designer Series windows however, the coating is on the inside of the open-able third pane (where the blinds, etc. go), which could be damaged. Pella refers to this in their wood window owners manual on their website. It sound like the rep got the two window lines mixed up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here