Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lsst_gw

Labor cost replacing window glass under warranty questions

lsst
13 years ago

We have a hazing that has developed between our window panes.

I called the window company and they will replace the window glass free under warranty and I will pay for labor.

Does anyone know what labor costs average for a 4 x 6 clear glass stationary window that is on the bottom floor within 15 feet of the driveway?

The installers will not need a ladder.

Only the glass is being replaced.

TIA

Comments (8)

• windowinfo
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Our company charges $95.00 to come out to your house if its under 25 miles from the office. Over 25 miles its an additional $1.20 a mile. We also charge a pick up fee if the glass was not sent to your residents of $65.00. Then we charge $35.00 for every 15 min's are workers are there. Also we charge a flat rate of $20.00 to dispose of the old piece of glass. So to replace a 4 X 6 glass pack and picking it up a distributer you are looking at around $285.00 if your within the 25 mile range. That is based on our workers taking 45 min's to replace the glass. Now thats our price...price could vary depending on location.

• lsst
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for your reply!
    The glass company came to our house today to look at the window.
    The glass will be delivered to their company.
    He stated his company would call with a quote on Monday.
    I asked if he could give me an idea of a range and he stated $125-$250.

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

I do want to comment on this issue. This enunciates the point I have made over and over in the years that i have been posting here. Often we are asked why we recommend certain window manufacturers over others. Many window manufacturers would solve this problem by simply shipping a new sash to the consumer and letting them take 30 seconds to remove the old sash and pop the new one in. As many of you know, one of the brands I sell is Simonton. This is how they handle this type of warranty issue. If fact they even have a video on their website showing the consumer how to do it themselves and it costs the homeowner nothing!!! Most dealer like us will even take the time to go to our customers home and install it for them if necessary.

Again, this is a good example of what we mean when we talk about companies that have lifetime warranties AND first rate warranty service and those that simply offer lifetime warranties. As you can see in this example, not all lifetime warranties are equal.

• lsst
    Original Author
    13 years ago

skydawggy,
    If the window were a double hung, I could change it myself.
    This is a larger stationary piece that I my husband and I can not physically replace ourselves.

I looked at Simonton's warranty and it is the same wording as the company that manufactured mine.

They will replace the glass but the labor cost is up to the homeowner.

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

Ouch, my bad assumption. That's what I get for posting late at night after being at a Trade Show for the past 10 hours. Yes, in the case of a picture window there usually would be a labor charge from many manufacturers. However, this also points out the importance of the dealer the windows are purchased from and even the type of window selected. Better dealers offering long term labor warranties would have covered this type of repair at no charge to the customer. We do that because it create a lot of good will and results in a lot of referrals which better dealer depend on to stay in business. It also make the point regarding double hung vs single hung window. Double hung would result in a simple sash exchange whereas single hung would have resulted in a charge most likely.
    Just pointing out that in many cases (obviously not this case) that even though 2 warranties can seem the same, there can be major difference in what is and is not covered. Consumer need to read and ask questions before purchasing windows to make sure they understand the warranty differences. Also, understand that many warranties are written by corporate lawyers and create loopholes that allow these manufacturers to get away with this.

• xoldtimecarpenter
    13 years ago

Window warranties aggravate me about as much as faucet warranties, which are only slightly less annoying than setting my hair on fire with kerosene and putting it out with a brick.

I don't know of a single window manufacturer that really stands behind its product. Almost all claim to have life-time warranties, but if you read the warranty, they actually promise very little. At most they will, eventually, send you a replacement part, but actually getting the window fixed is up to you.

Not to be impolite, but this is crap. The window fogged up because it was not manufactured properly. There is no other explanation for fogging of an unbroken window. The homeowner did nothing to cause the problem. It is entirely on the manufacturer, who, if he was actually standing behind his product would also pay for the labor to install the window. I am not at all impressed with the fact that a window company makes a video showing the homeowner how to install replacement glass. Why should the homeowner have to install it? He didn't cause the problem.

If we install windows for a customer, and they have manufacturing problems, we take care of the problem. We deal with the manufacturer, we install the replacement parts. And we keep track of our time and costs and bill the manufacture for them. If they have not paid in 90 days, we sue.

Most people are not ware that the manufacturer's written warranty is not the only warranty a homeowner has. By law the manufacturer warrants the windows to be merchantable, workmanlike, and fit for the purpose for which intended. If the manufacturer violates these warranties by, for example, providing a dual-glazed window with seals that leak so the window fogs up (not merchantable, not workmanlike), he has to pay for the parts AND the labor to install the parts. That is the law, and has been the law for over 100 years.

Manufacturers' warranties are not written for the purpose of protecting the customer, they are written to avoid, as much as possible, their duties under these common law warranties. The effort is only effective if the customer lets the manufacturer get away with it.

We never do, and we never lose.

My suggestion for homeowner is not to deal with warranty issues themselves. Get the company who installed the windows to deal with it. You may have to pay them to take care of manufacturing problems (but not installation problems -- that's on them). That way you avoid the finger-pointing that is common in window warranty claims. The manufacture says its an installation problem, the installer says its a manufacturing problem and no one does anything.

Take pictures, get invoices, keep close track of your costs. Add them up and bill the manufacture. The company will probably deny their liability since labor is not covered by their written warranty. Don't spend any time trying to explain your rights under common law warranty -- just sue in small claims court. The judge will provide all the explanations necessary. At $15-45 to file a small claim, it is one of the best judicial bargains around.

Keep in mind also that most window companies are members of the Better Business Bureau and as members have to submit to binding arbitration if your ask for it. Ask for it. Let the BBB collect for you.

Stop taking crap from manufacturers over warranty issues.

Regards,

• rivers7
    13 years ago

Cost should be around $250-$500 depending on floor. Milgard Tuscany gives you glass breakage and labor. Simonton does too in California. Reading the actual warranty can really be a eye opener. Customers hear lifetime and don't check up on the details.

• lsst
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The final quote is $250. Another guy quoted $350 over the phone without seeing it.

I am disappointed with the final quote as he stated the range would be $125-$250.I was hoping it would be on the lower side.

It is a lower window that can be walked up to and he stated the way it is installed is a simple install.

I am doing it though as the window is on the front of the house and the fogging is very noticeable. Otherwise I would just live with it.