Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wood rot under patio door

Posted by missy_d1 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 27, 09 at 19:45

I found some wood rot on the floor boards below a sliding patio door. On closer inspection I believe there is rot beneath the door. Replacing the floor boards is easy but how can I replace the wood rot beneath the door? I do not want to replace the door. I know how to remove the glass door panels but is is possible to remove the bottom track of the door and replace the rotted wood and then replace the track? Would it be possible to replace the wood beneath the door without removing the bottom track? Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks
Missy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wood rot under patio door

The good news is you can remove and replace the sill track. You can sometimes get a new track if you know the manufacturer. The bad news is that if the rot has gone deeper than the plywood or underlayment into the headerboard or sill plate then you have major work in your future. What's in store depends on the design of the house and what has to be removed to get to all the rot. Most problems of rotten floors under patio doors occur when they are not properly flashed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here