Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yllom1976

Simonton window question

yllom1976
10 years ago

We will be building a house soon & I had my heart set on the Marvin Intergrity all fibrex windows but my budget would only allow for single hung & the house is 2 story so I set out to find a good vinyl window. I have a quote for Sunrise but they are not in the budget at all. After researching, I heard a lot of great things about Simonton windows. I have a quote for the Brickmould 600 double hung which is a new construction window & a quote for the Reflection 5500 series. Both came in approx $1,500 less than the Integrity's. The 5500's will require a nail fin which is not expensive but I am trying to figure out the difference between the 2 (performance wise). The dealer could not tell me & I just can't find much info online about the Brickmould series. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Comments (10)

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

The bigger difference will be in appearance. The 5500 is much nicer. I'd suggest looking at the windows and opt for sash reinforcement,superspacer and consider glass options or get more quotes on other brands such as Polaris,Soft-lite, Okna,Affinity, Vtyex.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

$1,500 on the total project?

While I appreciate keeping track of the expenses and staying within a budget, did you run the numbers on what that $1,500 amounts to if amortized over a 30 year loan?

At the end of the day, get what you are going to love looking at (within reason).

• yllom1976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the replies. If we only had 1 $1,500 place to cut, this would not even be an issue. We have lots of $1,500 places that we are needing to trim down cost. Does anyone know off hand if the Simonton 5500 series is as efficient/durable as the Integrity all fibrex? If the Marvin is that much more efficient then we will get our money back over time but if it takes 10 years & the windows will need replacing in 10 years then it's a wash. Thoughts?

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

The Marvin won't gain you anything in performance,the Simonton 5500 is a good mid grade choice. The Marvin looks cheap and the Simonton is a pretty nice looking window IMO, I prefer it over many in a full framed window and is a better choice than the lower end Sunrise.If you are not going to look at other vinyls you certainly could do worse but sometimes there are better options at a lower price.

• PRO
    10 years ago

The Simonton won't require replacing in 10 years by any stretch.

As Todd said, if you are going vinyl, I would look at some other options as well.

• yllom1976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What other options would you suggest? I live in North Mississippi. I contacted Okna & they don't service our area. Sunrise is WAY out of budget. Thanks for the replies.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Soft-Lite would the the next in terms of vinyl.

• yllom1976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I just checked the website. The dealer locator goes out to 100 miles. There is not a Soft-Lite dealer w/in 100 miles of our area. I think that for now, I will stay with the Simonton 5500 series w/nail fin for new construction. It seems to be the best bang for the buck in our area.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

Good advice above. Simonton is a fine choice if you don't have the access to the other brands mentioned. Definitely no sacrifice in performance from the Integrity, infact the Simonton should be superior in that regard.

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

Expand your options. All of the above leak profuse amounts of air.