Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theviking_gw

New Construction - WIndow Choice

TheViking
10 years ago

I'm in the middle of building a custom home, and have been doing research for days on window choices.

The builder has selected a Simonton ProFinish Contractor Gliding window, which seems to be a pretty good product overall, but I there are some things I am not real happy with.

For instance, I do not like the choice of Grid patterns. I know this seems superficial compared to the quality of the window, energy efficiency, etc.. but it does contribute to the overall aesthetic of the home. Plus, we have to look out these windows, and the grids are just annoying to us.

We would like to stay with a Sliding/Gliding window, but we would like the appearance of a single hung via a grid/grille.

We are also have pets, and we don't want them to be able to push the window open to far, so we want some kind of latching mechanism that prevents the window from being opened too far. I believe these are called Vent Latches. I know Andersen has something called a Window Opening Control Device, and maybe this could be added after market, so maybe it's not a huge problem.. but something built-in would be nice.

We really like the Andersen 100's Tall Fractional grille pattern, and there are good reviews of the Andersen 100's (and my builder says he's happy with them), but I don't really like the latch hardware on the Andersen's, as it's an auto-locking latch. I prefer the peace of mind of feeling the window locking with a manual cam latch. I love the Marvin slider hardware, but those are just insanely priced.

I've been looking at various other windows.. but the problem is that I have no basis to compare the costs, because you can't find the costs of these windows online.

So, I'm looking for a window that has similar pricing to the Simonton ProFinish Contractor or Andersen 100, but offers the features i'm looking for. Things that are important:

* LowE Glass - North Central climate - very cold and very hot
* Durable Screens - again, we have pets.. and don't want them to bend or warp the screens
* Low air infiltration
* Good Warranty - At least 20 years
* Solid company - can back up that warranty
* Cam hardware
* Don't need fancy finishes.. standard white vinyl is fine, both in and out.
* Laminated security glass if possible for lower windows
* Grid Pattern - Tall Fractional (2 or 3 upper lites) or upper fractional (small blocks along the top) or even an upper cross (top half). Custom grid would be ideal.

If it's not possible to get this in the same price range, then i'd like to at least know what kind of price difference i'm looking at. Obviously, I understand that pricing varies and that my builder may add on, but he claims he doesn't.

So, to any of you out there that are in the know.. any suggestions?

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Where is North Central?

Soft-Lite, Polaris, and Sunrise should all be available and are a great option for consideration.

Have you looked at the air numbers and what the laminated glass option will bump the price up by?

Last I check, Andersen was supremely expensive on laminated glass.

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

Neither. Expand your options.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    10 years ago

you want high efficient window and low infiltration and you are sticking with sliders???!! You can not get a whole lot worse of a window.

Also, why are you going with such cheap windows in your new home if you value performance?

Worse case check outfiberglass Marvin Integrity Ultrex if you want something better than vinyl for a similar price point.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

+1 but a bit softer approach than lzerarc (although there is something to be said for going at the jugular from time to time).

I may disagree as to what material you should be mandated to run but he/she is 1000% correct about the operator type.

Don't put in a slider and expect it to be as airtight as another option.

• krycek1984
    10 years ago

Pro finish is horrible...low of the low. They call it contractor grade for a reason. Our original contractor quoted this for us and we said no way. We went to the store to try them out and they feel like they will fall apart. Andersen 100's aren't much better when we went to the showroom.

• olivesmom
    10 years ago

We have sliding windows, Milgard's lowest level vinyl ones. I hate them (sliders in general I think- ugliest style out there IMO) but there is a really easy fix for limiting the amount they open. Hardware stores sell these little screw/clamp things that you just place at your desired window-stopping point and screw on. It is possible that an older child could (7-8 and up) could figure out how to unscrew them. Otherwise, the screw thing works just fine. We have them in the kids bedrooms (courtesy of an anxiety ridden grandmother).