Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_md7

Local custom window vs national brand

mary_md7
13 years ago

What are the pros and cons of using a nationl brand vs a local company that manufactures their own windows? A local company we are considering *possibly* using has been around a number of years and has a BBB rating of A+. They say all thier windows are eligble for the tax credt and meet energy star standards. Web complaints are few and focus on things like requiring both spouses to be present when they visit and in one case, efficiency in correct an error.

Any thoughts on local vs national?

Comments (6)

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    13 years ago

Warranty is what generally separates the locals from the national companies. Local companies will give a one year warranty to the almost across the board 20/10 year that the large national companies give.

• dopgolf
    13 years ago

Sounds like one of those in-home, high pressure sales cases since they want both of you there. This is done to prevent one or the other of you telling them you need to check with your spouse and get back to them. If they have to pressure you into buying the windows, I'd look for a company with a professional showroom where you can go see various products and decide on something you like rather than what someone wants to sell you. National companies aren't always the best either - they just have recognizable namebrands. Go look at different windows and decide what you like.

• mary_md7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, we met with them; not high pressure, but the usual extra discount for signing tonight (which we did not). I'm guessing if we were to call in two weeks and say we'll sign a contract for that discounted prce, they would take it.

They say all their windows meet the 2013 Energy Star requirements and they will provide the necessary documentation for the tax credit. U factor .28, solar heat gain .28, visual tranmission .51, condensation resistance 60.

They have a warranty that covers us as long as we own the house and the next owner as long as they own the house (parts and labor).

• mary_md7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Does it matter that they are also listed on the NFRC website as an NFRC certified product?

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    13 years ago

Nothing about the warranty is anything that is outside the norm of most other reputable companies.

What are the service charges on that warranty. Probably worth looking into.

The claims of meeting 2013 Energy Star levels are a bit laughable. The requirements for the Energy Star Tax Credit are more stringent than the proposed 2013 guidelines.

A windows at 0.28/0.28 with a VT of 0.51 is pretty middle of the road. Nothing special and especially when you consider there are double pane windows with better thermal, SHGC, and VT numbers.

Yes it does matter that it is NFRC certified. That is a requirement to get the tax credit.

• tube
    13 years ago

Most time even their discounted price is over priced from what I see in my area. Keep looking IMO.