Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
air-tightness and energy-efficiency top priority for replacement

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 18:33

I am still researching windows. Replacement windows are so expensive, I want to make sure I get the right ones. In a recent post, I noted the right wording to use as the top priority for my replacement windows - air-tightness and energy-efficiency. I live in central north Texas where the wind blows constantly all year round, thus creating such a need.

As of right now, I am leaning towards double paned, fiberglass windows, although may also go with vinyl. Our summers are very hot and winters are relatively mild, thought it can get below freezing for several days.

What good to excellent brands do you think meet those parameters, please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: air-tightness and energy-efficiency top priority for replacem

Where in Central, North Texas?

What brands were you considering when it came to Fiberglass and vinyl?

There are some good brands of either out there and available to you.

o

You might also consider thermally-broken aluminum as well. It offers great strength and rigidity along with narrower frames and sashes. If you're okay with single hung windows, Don Young has a AL rating of .03.

Sunrise Vanguard vinyl also offers a low .03 air leakage rating.

I don't know of any fiberglass window offering AL ratings that low.

o

WOW: I am in the DFW area. I am researching Marvin, Okna and Softlite. Although I have found that Okna is not in this area, but may be in the fall.

Ultra: Thanks for the info on Sunrise Vanguard. I really do want double hung windows.

o

Ultra is the guy to talk to in the future.

He covers the DFW area.

o

Thanks, WOW. I do not see that he has an e-mail address. Is there a website for him?

o

A simple search using his name should yield the results your looking for. If not try adding .net to the end of it.

o

Thanks so much, I will try that, Todd.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here