Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slcbrt

Replacement windows for Salt Lake City, UT

slcbrt
10 years ago

Hi everyone. We're looking to replace a dozen windows in our house in Salt Lake City (hot summers/cold winters) and were wondering if anyone had any recommendations on what the preferred NFRC ratings for the area would be?

Also, we are looking at some higher end vinyl options (like Champion and Andersen) and fiberglass (Marvin Infinity). Any opinions on those products (such as the lower air leakage rating for Marvin) would be greatly appreciated, as well.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

I am not sure I would consider Champion "higher" end and with the Andersen, are you referring to Silverline or the RBA window?

The brands that you will, in vinyl, commonly referred to as premiums are Soft-Lite, Okna, and Sunrise.

I don't think Okna is out there in Utah but I do think that Sunrise is available and perhaps Soft-Lite.

In non-vinyl options, Infinity by Marvin is good as well as InLine.

• slcbrt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

We contacted InLine, but unfortunately they wouldn't be able to ship windows with Argon due to the elevation gain from their factory.

In looking at the Marvin Infinity, we were a bit concerned by the Air Leakage rating that appears to be .30 if I understand correctly. In your opinion, how big a deal is that compared to some windows that are in the mid-teens? Due to the location of our home we get some decent wind whipping through at times.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Air infiltration is certainly something worth considering and even more so given your location.

Ask for the structural test report on whatever window you consider and compare them that way.

You are already much further ahead of most consumers as a standard.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

And even with an air infiltration number of .30 it is not like you will feel wind blowing into the house, lol. While not the best number out there it is far from terrible!

• slcbrt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your replies.

As a layman, I have to admit to being a little confused as to how much a difference the air leakage numbers will make. Any thoughts?

In your opinions does the Infinity still significantly stand out versus the vinyl options? The premium for the Infinity isn't too much higher.

Thanks again.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Stand out how?

• slcbrt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for the delay in responding. I was soliciting more quotes.

Right now we're looking seriously at the Marvin Infinity, the Milgard Ultra and Tuscany and Champion's vinyl window. I looked at all the high end vinyl manufacturers (Soft-Lite, Okna, Sunrise and the fiberglass Inline), but none have dealers in the area or can't ship due to the altitude.

The infinity and Champion are about the same price, the Milgard Ultra is a couple grand less and the Tuscany is about four grand less.

It doesn't sound like you're high on Champion windows, but do you have any strong opinions about the others (quality and price point).

I appreciate your help and the time you spend responding.

Thanks.

p.s. I just posted another thread related to the Infinity structural ratings and would love to get your opinion on that, as well. Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Other thread

• PRO
    10 years ago

In this comparison, I think the Infinity is the clear winner.

Specify the window with Low-e 272 on the South facing windows and Low-e 366 on the remainder.

If you were comparing the Marvin Infinity to the other vinyl windows listed, there would be more to compare. Given this comparison to the vinyl window you have looked at, there is no comparison.

• slcbrt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your response and the time it took you to address the questions in the thread. Much appreciated.

• PRO
    10 years ago

No problem. Happy to help and keep us posted on your project.

• Renee Zollinger
    8 years ago

What window did you end up going with? and how did it work out? We are in the same conundrum now.....!