Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Milgard Style Line Casement/Awning opinions for modern home

Posted by charliehorse99 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 17:48

Hi,

I am considering installing Milgard vinyl (white) Style Line casements and awning windows. The casement and awning versions are relatively new. I am looking for clean, modern, minimalist sight-lines and this may be an alternative to aluminum windows commonly used on modern and MCM homes. Has anyone used these in casement/awnings? I'd love to see some photos and hear your opinions on the quality and sight lines.

While these are less expensive compared to the Montecito line, I am told that they are not any lesser quality but just simpler to construct with less vinyl material. To me the less architectural 'detail' the better.

Also, I am considering using these using straight drywall returns on the interior, and in situations where I have windows together I am think I would buy separate units and frame in as close as possible as opposed to using the vinyl mulling option. I find the vinyl mulling bars way to thick, eg, 5", between a fixed and an awning, and so even if I use stud/drywall between I think it will look nicer than a big hunk-o-vinyl between the lights. On smaller windows the 5" mulling bar is disproportionately large relative to the glass area. On larger windows it may be less of an issue. The other advantage of using separate units over mulling is that the plane of the glass for a fixed and awning can be the same, as opposed to when they are mulled together (the mulling bar would be mounted inboard of the awning glass).

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Milgard Style Line Casement/Awning opinions for modern home

Get a zero mullion strip. If the window is equip with an accessory groove on the interior and exterior, a zero mull is basically invisible as it directly joins the two windows across a thin line.

o

That zero mullion wont work with an operable window mulled with a fixed, will it?

o

Yes.

o

Um, got a link to explain how this works?

o

What's there to explain? Both frames have an accessory groove, so just mull them together. Only issue would be if you just have a FIG (framed in glass).

o

http://viwinco.com/sites/viwinco.com/files/images/Mullion_0.jpg

Here is a link to a structural zero mull.

Here is a link that might be useful: Structural zero mull

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here