Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcfarnell_gw

Replacement Vinyl Windows - Simonton vs. Ply Gem vs. EPI/Cascade

mcfarnell
11 years ago

Greetings everyone,

I'm working on getting the aluminum framed windows replaced in my 1976 home. I've had 3 contractors out to give me quotes, and they've all given me different info. The local PUD will give me $20 per sq/ft to replace the windows.

Contractor #1 is really nice and is recommending Ply Gem Contractor Series windows. He is bidding the job so that the PUD rebate will cover the cost completely. I think that's around $4000 for 7 windows and a sliding door.

Contractor #2 is more of a salesman and tried to get me to move forward the day he was bidding. Problem is I'm required to take 2+ bids to the PUD. That changed his attitude a bit and he seemed irritated. He is recommending EPI/Cascade windows. He's bidding around $7,000.

Contractor #3 is really nice also and is recommending Simonton windows. They are the company that takes care of all Simonton warranty/service calls in the Pacific Northwest. They say Simonton has a great warranty. I also see that JD Powers has listed Simonton windows as the best for 3 years in a row. They are also bidding around $7000.

So......what do you all think of these window options? I've never dealt with windows before. I really like the idea of having contractor #1 do it at the rate PUD will pay, so I have no out-of-pocket cost. Ply Gem contractor series seems like a reasonable quality product. What do you think?

Thank you for any help.

Comments (4)