Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
betsyelise

window replacement, TX Gulf coast

betsyelise
9 years ago

I have a one story brick home built in the 1970s with original aluminium windows. I live in hurricane area right near Galveston Bay.
I wanted to replace with Don Young aluminum windows but their slider windows have not been tested as per TDI ( TX Dept of Insurance ) for TX Windstorm Insurance.
My next choice was NT Twinsulator, aluminum.
The contractor came out with a sample of the NT and also a Home Craftsman 8100, vinyl.
He said the HC8100 was about 150 dollars less per window and he said a better window.
I wanted Al windows cause I thought they had a narrower frame and hence more square inches of glass.
The two samples he brought both had a 2.5 in frame.
I guess I am prejudiced in favor of Al for some reason.
If I go with vinyl I think I can get DY Windows with a tested slider.
Waiting for bid and plan to call out another contractor.

At this point my choice seem to be DY vinyl, NT aluminum, or Home Craftsman 8100 vinyl.

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Paging Utlra Windows for comment...

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    9 years ago

Don Young's thermally-broken aluminum window is a great choice for our area. However, DY has a poorly designed slider that doesn't keep wind drive rain out at high pressure. NT's twinsulator would be a good substitution if you have to use sliders in those openings.

HC is not a window I would ever recommend. It's popular for two reasons: it's cheap and it's thin. The reason it's so thin is because there's not much vinyl in it which makes for a flimsy frame. Their most popular model also has a pocket sill which is a poor design, particularly for our area.

I would urge you to stay away from HC altogether.

• betsyelise
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Why would the contractor push the HE window? He said it was just as good as NT and mentioned the pocket sill as a superior design. Why not push the better and more expensive window? Is it about profit margins?
    I thought about going with DY and NT for 3 bedroom sliders. But will they "match"? I have a corner BR with 2 windows so there would be one of each brand.
    Or should I just go with all NT?
    I did not like that on NT Windows there is a stopper so window only opens about 50%. Is that standard now? Is DY the same?
    Thanks for help.

• betsyelise
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Why would the contractor push the HE window? He said it was just as good as NT and mentioned the pocket sill as a superior design. Why not push the better and more expensive window? Is it about profit margins?
    I thought about going with DY and NT for 3 bedroom sliders. But will they "match"? I have a corner BR with 2 windows so there would be one of each brand.
    Or should I just go with all NT?
    I did not like that on NT Windows there is a stopper so window only opens about 50%. Is that standard now? Is DY the same?
    Thanks for help.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Contractors (General) will push what they can get at local building supply houses as well as what is cheap and easy to work with.

They know what they know and unfortunately, they don't know what they don't know.

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    9 years ago

I don't know the motive of the contractor, but I will say that the most expensive window isn't always the most profitable window.

I wouldn't have a problem with mixing Don Young with NT in this application.

Not sure what you're asking on the 50% opening. Only half of the window opens, and it doesn't open fully, but it opens more than 50%.