Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do all vinyl replacement windows look bad?

Posted by cindyinct (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 18, 11 at 17:23

My house was build in 1959 and I still have the original windows (double hung and awning). My double hung windows have a horizontal separation on both the upper and lower so it looks like the window is divided into 4 sections. I also have storm windows on the double hung windows.

Most vinyl replacement windows I've looked at (Harvy, Simonton, and others I can't remember) don't seem to open and close easily and look rather cheap to me. Should I go with the wood aluminum clad instead? I live in New England so we do have cold winters.

Am I crazy for liking the look of my original wood windows? Should I be looking at new construction windows instead?

Cindy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do all vinyl replacement windows look bad?

Sunrise makes a very attractive vinyl window. You might also take a look at some fiberglass windows. If your budget allows for aluminum clad wood, then you can also afford fiberglass, which never rots and doesn't require much maintenance.

o

There are probably 10X the number of cheap looking vinyl windows vs. good looking vinyl.

Whether you need a full tear out depends on the extent of the rot, however, most do not require full tear outs.

o

windowsonwashington - My windows don't have any rot, so I probably don't need a full tear out, but was thinking that a new construction window would look better than losing some of the visibility when installing a replacement. I was considering putting in vinyl siding at the sime time if I do new construction windows. Currently I have cedar shakes.

ultra - are you implying that aluminum clad wood is a much better window?

o

If you are putting up new siding, going a full tear out with a nailing flange is certainly an option and preferable if you can afford the added expense of new interior trim, stools, etc.

That will get you back some of the glass lost in a typical pocket or insert style replacement and give you the most complete type of installation (assuming your contractor is competent).

Look for a window with an integrated J-channel and nailing flange.

o

Also, try looking for a PGT window (2100 in the new construction), if they are available. they have a nice profile.

o

I don't think you can get PGT in N.E.

o

What vinyl windows do you think are the best, or are they pretty much the same at this point. Like I said originally, the two that were suggested were Harvy Classic and Ellison (supposedly the founders of Simonton started this new company). Any thoughts?

o

Define "Best".

o

The founders of Simonton started a new company called Wincore. If they showed you the 7700 series it's about the same quality and profile as the Simonton 5500.

Both are decent upper mid-grade vinyl windows.

o

I live near Boston and am looking at Rite Windows, who distribute Gorell windows. They have a 50 year warranty. I'm not thrilled with their grilles, but they look like pretty decent windows.

o

What model Gorell are you looking at and what glass package are they including?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here