Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindyinct

Do all vinyl replacement windows look bad?

cindyinct
12 years ago

My house was build in 1959 and I still have the original windows (double hung and awning). My double hung windows have a horizontal separation on both the upper and lower so it looks like the window is divided into 4 sections. I also have storm windows on the double hung windows.

Most vinyl replacement windows I've looked at (Harvy, Simonton, and others I can't remember) don't seem to open and close easily and look rather cheap to me. Should I go with the wood aluminum clad instead? I live in New England so we do have cold winters.

Am I crazy for liking the look of my original wood windows? Should I be looking at new construction windows instead?

Cindy

Comments (11)

• ultra
    12 years ago

Sunrise makes a very attractive vinyl window. You might also take a look at some fiberglass windows. If your budget allows for aluminum clad wood, then you can also afford fiberglass, which never rots and doesn't require much maintenance.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

There are probably 10X the number of cheap looking vinyl windows vs. good looking vinyl.

Whether you need a full tear out depends on the extent of the rot, however, most do not require full tear outs.

• cindyinct
    Original Author
    12 years ago

windowsonwashington - My windows don't have any rot, so I probably don't need a full tear out, but was thinking that a new construction window would look better than losing some of the visibility when installing a replacement. I was considering putting in vinyl siding at the sime time if I do new construction windows. Currently I have cedar shakes.

ultra - are you implying that aluminum clad wood is a much better window?

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

If you are putting up new siding, going a full tear out with a nailing flange is certainly an option and preferable if you can afford the added expense of new interior trim, stools, etc.

That will get you back some of the glass lost in a typical pocket or insert style replacement and give you the most complete type of installation (assuming your contractor is competent).

Look for a window with an integrated J-channel and nailing flange.

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

Also, try looking for a PGT window (2100 in the new construction), if they are available. they have a nice profile.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

I don't think you can get PGT in N.E.

• cindyinct
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What vinyl windows do you think are the best, or are they pretty much the same at this point. Like I said originally, the two that were suggested were Harvy Classic and Ellison (supposedly the founders of Simonton started this new company). Any thoughts?

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Define "Best".

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

The founders of Simonton started a new company called Wincore. If they showed you the 7700 series it's about the same quality and profile as the Simonton 5500.

Both are decent upper mid-grade vinyl windows.

• SenoJ004
    12 years ago

I live near Boston and am looking at Rite Windows, who distribute Gorell windows. They have a 50 year warranty. I'm not thrilled with their grilles, but they look like pretty decent windows.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

What model Gorell are you looking at and what glass package are they including?