Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repair a cracked argon-filled window?

Posted by codnuggets (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 17:21

Hi all. Frequent ex-user of these forums looking for a quick gut-check. My contractor just installed a Ply Gem vinyl picture window, 52x56, double pane, Low-E, Argon filled, and they cracked the exterior pane. The supervisor said someone was coming tomorrow to repair it. I've looked over the construction of the wind, and I don't see how they can do this on site. Is it possible to repair this type of non-operable, seemingly single piece unit with no removable parts? I mean the frame is heat-welded together around the double pane unit, not to mention filling with Argon, which I guess can be done with the right equipment.

I just want to know if this is a proper repair or if I should tell my contractor to get me a new window so I get what I paid for.

Thanks for the replies!

Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repair a cracked argon-filled window?

Hey Codnuggets. They are probably going to reglaze the frame. They should bring out another piece of insulated glass (with Lo E, with Argon gas) and take the old cracked piece of insulated glass out. You can't replace just one sheet of the insulated glass. I have a feeling that must be what he was referring to.

o

I thought maybe that would be the idea. I guess I'll see what happens, although I'm skeptical at this point. Thanks for the reply.

o

The Plygem window does have a glazing bead and is serviceable.

Very normal and straightforward.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here