Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Three Contractors Which Window?

Posted by nerdyshopper (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 8, 10 at 17:17

We just decided to replace our kitchen's flat aluminum picture window with a vinyl bow window unit with casements on the side lights. We are just expecting the bids now and have recieved only one. It was for Cascade Series Cascade window with Solar Ban 70 Low E glazing, argon gas, double strength glass; with a lifetime warrantee on frame, hardware and glass seal. The other two installers proposed similar windows made by Ply Gem, or Jeld-Wen. We only found some complaints about one of the contractors at BBB and the State L&I. Does anyone know any reason to prefer one of these window makers over the others?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Three Contractors Which Window?

i would not go with Cascade Windows or Jeldwen Windows. There is no labor warranty at all on Cascade and Jeldwen Windows only has a two year warranty on labor. All 3 don't have glass breakage. What line of Ply Gem Windows - premium and pro 100 are the ones I recommend. Take a look at Milgard Tuscany and Simonton Impressions series.

o

Stay away from the jeld wen windows. I have replaced every single one in my 11 year old home, due to seal failure. Every single one ( about 60 pairs!!).

o

Thanks for responding rivers7 and rowan 1963. It has been quite a while since I first posted that. A lot has happened. The only manufacturer locally that will make a 3x5 bow window is Cascade. Even then the quotes I got were from $1681 to $2255, depending on the line. At those prices I can't really afford a bow window and I am going to start over with just a new picture or slider window. If you were going to get one of those would you still recommend the Ply Gem Premium or pro 100 and the Milgard Tuscany? I think I can get a local contractor to bid those. One other line that a local contractor was recommending was Empire Pacific. Have you heard of that?
Thanks again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here