Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Steel or Fiberglass Door

Posted by leah_1216 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 31, 09 at 16:59

I'm replacing a basement door that is located in a playroom/den and leads to a patio. I want a well insulated door. Is there a big difference between steel and fiberglass? One store insisted fiberglass was the way to go, and said that steel eventually will pit. Another store recommended steel. Also, have you heard of ProVia doors?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Steel or Fiberglass Door

Provia Doors are one of the best you can buy. Provia also provides a lifetime warranty on their 20 gauge galvinized steel doors. I'd go for a steel door for the basement as it will provide the best deterrent to a break in. Provia doors also come with a steel security plate that should be installed.

We installed 2 Provia Steel doors for an elderly woman a few years ago who had had several break-ins. Last year she fell asleep while smoking and the house caught on fire. A neighbor called the FD and they could not get in the house thru the 2 Provia Doors even with axes. They did get in thru a window. The Firemen wanted to know who made those doors b/c they said they couldn't believe how strong they were. Needless to say she was fine and I found out about this when she called to order 2 new doors. Said she couldn't have been more pleased and she really felt much safer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here