Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cportu

Impact Window Brands- need your feedback

cportu
15 years ago

Hey Folks,

I'm about to take the dive on some impact windows (thanks to a My safe florida home grant).... need some advice on what brand to go with.... I've read a ton of posts on here but get a bit overwhelmed with the technical jargon.... I've gotten quotes on ES Windows, Lawson, and PGT.... which one should I go with??? Or None of the above? Thanks in advice...

Feel free to be jaded and opinionated.... if you think something is junk, I'd rather know about!

Thanks,

Carlos-

Comments (27)

• afsa
    15 years ago

I have never heard of any of them as I am form NY. Florida is somewhat unique unto itself as there in no energy code there. I would check with your local better business bureau.

• kate7047
    15 years ago

I had 23 windows replaced 2 months ago with PGT Winguard and I'm happy with them, even more so now that Tropical Storm Fay is here. They cost around $21,000 installed. I live near Ft Lauderdale and had them installed by East Coast Windows and Doors. They were very professional and did a good job. The PGT website is awful however and darn near useless, so the sales people at East Coast were crucial.

I have a combination of casement, fixed panel, sliding and even a couple single hung. They are VERY solid and make a big difference in the noise from outside. Also, despite being non-thermally broken aluminum frames my electric bill has gone down meaningfully, though that may be more a sign of just how crappy my old windows were.

On the front of the house I had the wood-grained look installed (large casements with Brittany muntins) and they're pretty convincing unless you get right up on top of them. They all crank/slide/raise well, but they're only 2 months old. I was happy to kiss my hurricane panels good-buy.

I had also looked at Simonton (didn't like the distributor at all), Pella and CGI. I almost went with CGI, which were really beautiful but would have cost about $7K more. I had qualms about the Pellas due to customer service complaints I've read about here and again, I didn't like their local distributor/installer.

In fact, the one thing I really learned from this process is that you can love the window but a particular brand may only have one or two companies locally who carry it, and if they don't seem up to par or get bad reviews when you do your due diligence you can forget about it for replacements. I really wish window manufacturers had more of a role in the sales/installation end of things but they don't. Some of the window installation companies made used-car salesmen look good.

• kay2000
    14 years ago

In Dade County, we chose CGI aluminum casement hurricane windows. We love them and did not find them to be too much more expensive than a PGT estimate.

• jaradoverturf
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    First and foremost thank you very much for all of the information thus far. Very enlightening. I have done my home work and have gotten quite a few quotes but wanted to get everyone's opinion on the following. We have narrowed it down to 2 different companies, they are essentially coming in at the same price. However one company is quoting ES Windows (7/16" Impact Glass, Stainless Steel Hardware, Screens included). The other company is quoting both PGT for the 3 larger Horizontal Rollers and ECO for the 2 smaller Rollers. Also once again both of those are quoted based on 7/16" Impact Glass, Stainless Steel Hardware & Screen included as well. Each company seems be providing the same service and the same guarantees. My question is mainly how do I decide on the better option. Since I have done everything I can to make sure that I am comparing apples to apples, I am more curious if you guys would suggest going with the combo of (ECO & PGT, both manufactured here in Florida) or (ES windows, which is a company out of Colombia I believe). Being completely open the two companies that I am evaluating currently are Impact Windows & Doors versus Florida Impact. Any assistance in helping me make this confusing decision would be greatly appreciated! Hope that you are all having a very happy Thanksgiving as well! Thanks everyone.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

I don't know the ES Window that well and certainly not as compared to the PGT.

That doesn't mean that it isn't good or possibly even superior.

What sort of feedback did you get from the two companies and have you compared installation options?

Research done on the companies?

• KjT146
    9 years ago

I am getting ready to order Lawson Windows. If anyone has had these windows installed please let me know if you have any comment.

• DavidC18
    9 years ago

Have you looked at any other options? There are many dealers with showrooms here in Broward County where you can compare brands. Home Depot and Lowes also have fairly decent selection of impact doors and windows.

• aa1notary
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We purchased Lawson windows over 2 months ago and it has been the most disappointing and frustrating experience. We spent a fortune and 3 out of 14 windows are allowing water to infiltrate our home. We collected close to 2 cups of water. Terrible customer service, Lawson doesn't take responsibility for their product, lacks integrity or they would work with us to resolve this issue. I was under the impression the new technology not only withstood hurricane five winds, provided better insulation and was water resistant too. 2 months later and we could grow a vegetable garden in the inside track of our impact resistant windows. Video shows how much water came into our home. https://www.periscope.tv/w/aLMOgjQyOTU4ODV8MXZBeFJuRW9tV3Z4bCqMWQcxKgY6v0A3shBL-3kWqCZO9B_dITENZLvoOb-5

• millworkman
    8 years ago

And I repeat............

• marymary52
    6 years ago

They were not installed right. They need to be sealed at lease 3 times

• millworkman
    6 years ago

"They were not installed right. They need to be sealed at lease 3 times"

Huh?

• marymary52
    6 years ago

When they go in the windows need to be cocked around the window or they will leak.

• PRO
    Skyblu Design
    3 years ago

I realize that this is an old post, but I am remodeling a new home in Jupiter and would like to know any new feedback and how the windows that were selected have held up.

• stormyrunner
    3 years ago

I’m about to bite the bullet on impact windows. I want PGT but installer is saying 4-6 months delay and lousy customer service vs using ES windows for same price, 6-8 weeks delivery & good customer service. Anyone agree/disagree?

• hodgkinsm
    2 years ago

Same here except we are looking at CGI vs ES. We were told ES is better and cheaper with a much faster delivery time. Looking for any info.

• grahamgallagher1
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I used CGI (PGT, same company) for a whole house remodel with single hung impact and CGI estate french doors. Placed order in early Feb - took 8-9 weeks to be delivered. If I could do it again I would either go with ES or upgrade to the CGI estate series for the cleaner look. Haven't moved back in tp the house yet so I can't speak to durability or performance, only how they look.

• brendaleecreations
    2 years ago

I realize this is an old post. I just wanted to say I am also shopping for windows for a new construction in Miami and I did my homework comparing apples to apples and decided to go with ES Windows much better quality.

• oberon476
    2 years ago

What do you see in them that makes them better than...?

• brendaleecreations
    2 years ago

Also wanted to add be Aware!!! I got proposals from 3 different window distributor’s same product same amount of windows and all 3 quotes came back totally different in price. There was one that gave me twice higher the price for the same product. What?? It is Crazy!

• oberon476
    2 years ago

Still curious on why you say that ES windows are much better quality?

Also better that what other brand(s)?

• L O
    last year

We had ES Windows installed recently . Two of the larger sliding windows have water infiltration and the other ones have stains on the glass. . Its been a huge issue and the company will not adress the problem . They only care about getting paid and have terrible customer service.

• Alex Roberto Baez
    last year

hi, which window did you end up going with and do you love them?

• Alex Roberto Baez
    last year

L O what company installed your windows?

• brendaleecreations
    last year

Hi Alex, I went with ES Windows I made the purchase right before they had a rate increase back in May to lock in the price but we are now placing the order since is for a new upcoming build. The dealer I purchased the windows through will be installing the windows. Oh by the way I ended getting the Elite series casement windows and the prestige series for the sliding doors.

• Alex Roberto Baez
    last year

Thanks i got the elite as wel. just signed today

• brendaleecreations
    last year

Alex, are you in Florida? I’m sure you know but just in case. Desantis signed a tax relief bill no tax for hurricane impact windows, doors, and garage doors. I know it’s all still expensive but every bit helps! :)