Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_2008

Windows for high wind exposure area

julie_2008
14 years ago

I have a new home in a high wind exposure area. I have Milgard tuscany single hung windows which did not perform during this past (first) winter in the home. Windows howled loudly beginning with sustained winds of 25mph. There are commonly wind gusts from 60 mph to in excess of 100mph each winter. This winter winds reached 105mph... There was snow blowing in between the vinyl frame to vinyl sash portion of the window as well as volumes of cold air rushing in- making it very difficult to keep the house warm. The Manufacturer has since stated that there were design issues with the first production of Tuscany's which were installed in our home.

The manufacturer also stated that the dealer (Oregon Window & Door LLC) should not have installed these windows in a high wind area... the nice dealer ignored the information that I provided and my repeated concerns to have appropriate windows for high winds... he ordered high performance glass and assured me this would take care of it. This was later explained to me by the manufacturer to be an extra bead of silicone on the outside of the glass!

I am considering Andersen woodwright and Marvin ultimate windows to replace the windows that failed to perform. Does anyone have expertise or experience with these windows in areas of high wind exposure? What windows will serve us best?

Thank you!

Comments (2)