Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solar shades/blinds question

Posted by wallycat (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 27, 11 at 16:09

DH and I recently moved to home in the Pacific Northwest.
Summers can be cool but also unseasonably hot. We have huge Bow (like bay but bigger) windows and lots of windows in general. The kitchen windows offer amazing views of Discovery Bay.
We love the views but I (DH doesn't care either way) detest the glare of the sun. It is sunny a lot out here.
Most days when it is cool, I love that all these windows heat the house but of course, would love to avoid turning on the a/c if I can during the unseasonably hot times.

So....is there anything that retains amazing views but can cut the glare (and the UV damage) but be able to be removed when you actually want the blasted sun (can you tell I hate summer?) DH is concerned that any blind (even the 15 - 17% open) will make the view not crystal clear.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Kitchen windows are the worst for blinding me when I work in there prepping dinner but they are the ones that offer the most amazing of the views.

...and I don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I realize I"m dreaming of the perfect solution but thought I'd put it out there.
Outside blinds/awnings are iffy as 70mph winds can happen.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solar shades/blinds question

What you want to check out is the most open % dark sun shade. Most are going to be made by Phifer and be a Shearweave.

The reason you want a dark color is that is absorbs the light so it reduces glare and allows for more visibility.

A 5-10% black will allow the best visibility. And if the color matches, there is one color, whos name that eludes me right this second, that has a touch of brown in it that is actually the best for visibility.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here