Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Skylight blinds

Posted by theanimala (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 26, 10 at 16:04

We have several large skylights in our house, that while we love the openness, they allow a lot of heat into the house. Not only that but our furniture and carpeting has faded due to the sun.

In addition to putting in a window tint, I am also looking at getting skylight double cellular shades. I have narrowed it down to Blinds-to-Go, Comfortex Symphony Soprano, or Graber.

The price spread of all 3 is only $30 per window, so they are priced very similarly. Of course the Graber blasts the others on ease of use (says the gear system of the Comfortex is bad and hard to move up and down with the extension rod), while Comfortex says the others are made inferior.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Being they are going to be painful to put up (high ceiling), I am looking for the best quality system that I won't have to take down to repair.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Skylight blinds

I too have skylights (2) in a high ceiling that always generate a lot of unwelcome heat here in Indiana in the summer months, though fading has never been a problem.

After a lot of research, I ordered some Phifer Suntex Super Solar 90 Sun Screen fabric (by the yard)....see link below. So far, I have only affixed it temporarily to the outside of one of the windows, but I believe it has made a big difference. The sun no longer shines on the carpet, making the carpet itself feel warm to the touch.

Have you maybe checked with a local window place to see if they could maybe make you some exterior screens? I talked to my local window place and he said the solar screen was so thick and stiff that he couldn't say for sure if he could put it in a frame or not. Then too, I don't know of any easy way to affix the screen frames on the outside even if he could make them. That is why I just temporarily covered one window and think I'll be able to remove it just fine when the temps cool and I welcome the sun generated heat.

If you would like, I can send you a scrap piece of the material, that you could then check with a local window place to see if they could put it in some frames for you. Affixing the frames to the windows, might also be a problem for you too though. I just used six 1/2" squares of double faced stickums, and those have held it in pace just fine for a couple weeks now. The frames on the outside are about 2" wide and the screen is very rigid.

Drop me an email if you'd like a sample piece. Please put skylight or something similar in the email subject line, as I don't open anything that looks unfamiliar or suspicious.

chemocurl...aka Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Solar Screen Material Rolls

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here