Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ppbenn_gw

Marvin ultimate vs Kolbe & Kolbe vs Peachtree

ppbenn
12 years ago

Have to make a decision by next week. We have not recieved the bids yet. Wanted to go with the Integrity wood-ultrex line but since the exterior does not come in black we are concidering Ultimates for the main spaces with SDL and All Ultrex for the basement garage laundry etc to save $.

What do you all have to say comparing these as far as Quality Warranty and customer service. Our materials supplier sells these brands and favors Peachtree to save $. The framer will install and favors Kolbe.

All DH with Patio Doors. Around 70 windows so I dont want to screw up. You all have such great advice Thanks

Comments (15)

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Marvin Ultimates are the best in my mind with Kolbe very close behind. On a scale of 1 to 10, /i would put Marvin Ultimates 10 a 10, Kolbe 9.8 and Peachtree about 3.0 to 3.5 at best.

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    12 years ago

I agree with millworkman. Just be aware that Kolbe has three series so that should be clarified to you. In order, the Ultra series is the best, then there is the Sterling series and last the Classic. Ultra ranks with Marvin but the other two are several notches below. Rather than just rely on what we say, you need to see the windows for yourself by visiting showrooms. You will discover features and benefits that may be very important to you that you hadn't even thought of.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

I don;t think you can go wrong with the Ultimate/Integrity pkg or Kolbe. I am surprised that the Sterling is 12% more than the Ultimates but that may be based on the dealer.But if I were you I would run in the opposite direction from any dealer that will actually recommend and endorse Peachtree windows.

• ppbenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just an update if youre interested. We did go with the Kolbe& Kolbe sterling windows Alum Clad The windows were comparable to marvin ultimates in every way and also seem sturdier as far as the framing goes. The prices were all over the map for the Marvin Ultimates from 50K to 80K
    Peachtree 76K and Kolbe 50K which includes all patio doors (six) and all entrance doors. Black exterior and SDL in both sashes and screens. It was big ticket price but lots of windows in house.
    The marvin wood ultrex prices ranged from 40K to 52K did not include entrance doors SDL or screens.
    We really feel the Kolbe windows were well made and the service of the company we bought from was excellent.
    Now if the windows come in as ordered and the installation
    goes well... I'll post an update then.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

That is a heck of a window schedule.

Keep us posted and we would like to see some pictures.

3 words when it comes to installation....flashing, flashing, flashing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaKXqFtHAss

Here is a link that might be useful: Flashing How to

• ppbenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The window order came in on monday less than four weeks from ordering altho 8 windows are on back order not sure which ones. I am assured by next Wed. latest. We are having the dealer store them for a couple weeks until roofing is finished we have been having major rain delays.
    From what I could see of the windows in the warehouse they are beautiful. I am regreting the unfinished interior as I will have to prime and paint.
    I will post pictures if I can figure out how to do it. This is after I track down the dupont flex flash and make sure the installers know how to use it.
    We have used Zip-Panels for exterior sheathing and are wondering if we should have used tyvek instead. All of this is so installation intensive and since I am at the mercy of the installers...
    Thank you to all who have posted to help my decision.

• PRO
    12 years ago

Zip panels supposedly do not require a WRB (Weather Resistant Barrier), however, it is really cheap insurance. You can use both if you see fit and like I said...it would be a cheap add on.

The Tyvek Flex wrap is not an absolute must if you use another type of sill pan flashing but it is cheap insurance to provide for a lifetime leak proof window.

You can use both for that matter if you really want to.

• vova
    12 years ago

ppbenn - would love to hear an update on how you like your K&K windows?

• ppbenn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is a link for pictures of the house as it sits so far. Siding and exterior starts this week.
    We love the windows. Very good quality and $ wise I think we did really well compared to the other brands.
    Everyone on the job so far raves about the windows from quality to design.
    I cant wait to get this house finished.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Very nice looking house and congrats the windows look like they will be beautiful upon completion of the exterior.

• PRO
    11 years ago

+1

Great home and beautiful location.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    11 years ago

great use of ZIP! You know, the black frames look really nice with the green :) Love black frames.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    11 years ago

I just recieved my quote from my K&K rep. They came in right around the Eagle pricing and just under Marvin Ultimates. My project does not have NEAR the amount of windows as the one above, however.
    I recieved prices on the Ultra and Ultra EP triple pane. All casements and fixed combos with black exterior cladding. The triple pane KK is much cheaper then the Marvin tri pane. I have not recieved my Eagle triple pane number yet. Everything appears to only be a 1-2k difference, so I am leaning towards K&K or Eagle at this point. Both triple panes are lower then the Inline fiberglass triple pane however (even in white finish, black exterior adds quite a bit yet).

• PRO
    11 years ago

I trust millworkman completely when it comes to wood recommendations and he really likes that Kolbe and Kolbe window so that is good enough for me.