Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheloveslayouts

Are Cascadia Fiberglass Windows my best option in Portland?

sheloveslayouts
9 years ago

We're doing a complete gut renovation of a small home in Portland, Oregon. 7 of 9 window openings are changing, so they are tear-outs. we're also re-siding, so I assume we're only looking at new construction windows.

Our GC spec'd Ply Gem Pro series vinyl windows. When we asked what other vinyl windows his sub installed he offered Milgard.

I've read and reread so many comments in online forums my head is spinning. All of my efforts to find the premium vinyl recommended here on Gardenweb has come up empty; they're not available in my area.

Last night I read a recommendation for Inline fiberglass as the only fiberglass that performs close to vinyl. I emailed Inline and just got a reply that all Inline inquiries from the west coast are forwarded to Cascadia Windows in BC. Cascadia has a local dealer here in Portland.

We only have 9 windows. They will be a combination of very plain, rectangular sliders and fixed picture windows. We want long lasting, low maintenance, as efficient as possible windows with slim white frames.

I feel like I've made this window decision more complicated than it needs to be. I think windows are a very important investment and I want to make the best choice. We do have a budget, but windows are a high priority.

It seems the following are my options right now. Please weigh in on what you think is best for our application.

Ply Gem Vinyl
Milgard Vinyl
Cascadia Fiberglass
Marvin Fiberglass

Thanks for your help. I need it!!

Comments (5)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

In if it were me, (and based on these brands only):

4) Ply Gem Vinyl
    3) Milgard Vinyl
    1) Cascadia Fiberglass (due to the Inline connection, as I an not up on this brand)
    2) Marvin Fiberglass

• EFHouseman
    9 years ago

Cascadia (Inline) is an ultra-high performance fiberglass product and has no peer in the vinyl window realm. It is also priced accordingly.

Marvin and Milgard both make "decent" fiberglass windows and are going to be more budget-friendly.

Milgard vinyl and Ply Gem vinyl are about the same in terms of quality and pricing, but I would lean towards Milgard because they are local and because they have a slightly better warranty.

• HomeSealed
    9 years ago

@benjesbride, I received your email but your settings do not allow me to email you back...
    I would rank these choices the same as MWM above. The Inline is the only true high performance model of the bunch, but Integrity is well put together, and Milgard is adequate in vinyl. There are actually some vinyl windows that offer very similar performance (or better) to the Inline, but none available in your neck of the woods to my knowledge. If you can swing it, I'd probably choose the Inline.

• sheloveslayouts
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ millworkman @EFHouseman @HomeSealed:

Thank you!!

We sincerely appreciate your replies. You've brought clarity to a decision that was getting increasingly confusing.

I'm sure there will be other readers from Portland who will be glad for your recommendations as well. Who knew we were in a quality-window deprived region?

Thanks!

• LE
    9 years ago

We used Milgard fiberglass. Not that you want to add another consideration to your list, but if you are looking at fiberglass, you might want to consider them. They are made in the NW, too! I don't know how the prices compare with others on your list, though.