Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remod21_gw

Wood window restoration - weather stripping needed w/ new storms?

remod21
9 years ago

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've read a lot of great advice in the various forums, but decided to join to post because I just purchased a victorian built in the late 1800's and am in a little over my head with the restoring the home.

Our contractor originally planned to replace the old wood windows with vinyl, but I am interested in restoring them. One of my greatest concerns is energy efficiency. I have had several window restoration companies look at our windows and have received conflicting advice about what is necessary to increase energy efficiency of old windows. All agree that new triple track storm windows are necessary, but some are advising me to have silicone weather stripping installed at the top and bottom sashes and at the meeting rail. Others are saying that the new storms are sufficient and although the silicone weather stripping will improve efficiency, the improvement is not sufficient to justify the extra cost of installing weather stripping.

If anyone has some thoughts I would appreciate it. I'd be especially interested to hear from homeowners in similar situations. Thanks!

Comments (4)