Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Simonton Prism Platinum same as Generations?

Posted by inqztve (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 15:02

I am replacing 21 windows in my home built on 1994 in Richmond, Virginia area. They are:

1) 18 double hung
2) 1 double hung with obscure glass
3) 2 picture windows with tampered glass (they are near the tub).

With standard features like double pane, Low-E, Argon filled and wrapping of old trims outside with vinyl coated aluminum.

After doing a lot of research online and talking to multiple salesmen from Pella, Home Depot, Champion, Lowes, Window World and few other local contractors here are the quotes:

1) Window World 4000 series: $7300
2) Lowes Atrium 3201:$7240
3) HD VantagePointe 6100: $10300
4) Pella Encompass: $10500
5) Champion: $13700 (I do not have a model name/number for this)
6) Simonton Prism Bronze: $8300 (1st local contractor)
7) Generations: $10200 (same local contractor as above)
8) Simonton Prism Platinum: $11900 (2nd local contractor)

So, here are my questions:

The salesperson (1st local contractor) told me Generations is practically the same as Prism Platinum. It's just a private label. Is that accurate?
If that is accurate, 2nd local contractor's price for Prism Platinum is inflated. Correct?
Pella Encompass doesn't have good reviews. Am I correct to rule it out?
Champion is 30% more expensive. Am I correct to rule it out?
Base on my research, HD 6100 is equivalent to Prism Bronze. If that's accurate, HD quote is inflated compared to 1st local contractor. Correct?
Do you guys have any opinion about Lows and Window World?

If Generations and Prism Platinum are equivalent, I am leaning towards Generations. But is the 20% more in cost over Prism Bronze worth?

Thank you all in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Simonton Prism Platinum same as Generations?

You really need to expand your search. Although the simonton vantage point is probably the best of the group, its still regarded as mid grade with basically average performance numbers. The other brands such as pella, atrium, and window world are complete garbage and cheaply made.
I would look in HiMark/Okna, Soft Lite Elements, or Sunrise Restorations. I would also look into contacting " windows on washington", i know they use well designed products and have an install team that is second to none. They are right in your back yard if im not mistaken.

o

I would echo what mmarse said in that there are probably better units out there and I am not a huge fan of most of the windows on that list.

We don't currently service Richmond but Google'ing around on those other brands will probably land you some hits still.

o

Don't know if the Generations is the same as the Platinum. The Platinum is a pretty nice mid range window. I would upgrade it to have sash reinforcement and upgrade the spacer. They offer many glass packages so choose what is best for you.Usually the Prism lines have a little better warranties and double strength glass standard vs the same window in the other lines.20% more is a fair price to upgrade, I'd suggest looking at the windows.The Simonton loses a bit of glass space so on smaller windows it can be noticeable, on bigger windows you don't tend to ntice as much and I prefer the beefy look on full framed windows.
It would make sense to price out some of the other windows mentioned as they are great choices and sometimes prices can be fairly close maybe even lower.
Make sure to get a great install and know all of the details about the install and the window.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here