Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Got my Gorell new construction quote--thoughts?

Posted by yogi_bear_79 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 6, 10 at 14:54

We actually have 28 windows, three sliders, and two patio doors. Here are the basics of the pricing of the initial quote. We are awaiting a few changes almond versus white, screens for all opening windows and a second quote for their triple pane versions. I think I got an outstanding deal on these windows. Anybody think I can do better elsewhere? I've read repeatedly on here that Gorell is one of the best in vinyl. The one point of discontent is they won't build the four parallelograms that we need. SO I am shopping them out to Soft-Lite at the moment.

Double Hung, EcoGlass, White, Prairie Grids
48 x 60 - $317.35
42 x 60 - $302.50
36 x 36 - $247.50
48 x 48 - $344.30 (tempered)

Awning , EcoGlass, White, Prairie Grids
48 x 36 - $415.66

Fixed, EcoGlass, White, Prairie Grids
24 x 24 - $212.85 (tempered)
36 x 80 - $320.10 (tempered)

Trapezoids, EcoGlass, White
36 x 70 x 62.5 - $631.40
26 x 53 x 45 - $441.65

Patio Doors: EcoGlass, White, Prairie Grids
2 lite Slider - 72 x 80 - $858.00
Single Panel In swing 36 x80 $869.55

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Got my Gorell new construction quote--thoughts?

I would not buy double hung windows in those proportions. Gorell will warrant them but they will look terrible and out sync. The wider once will probably require 2 people to tilt in and clean due to the weight distribution. Are you replacing slider windows.

How much are they charging for installation?

o

This is new construction. We are doing the installation ourselves. We considered sliders, but DW doesn't like them. These are all very accessible to clean from the outside. We are also waiting on a quote from Soft-Lite for some specialty shapes that Gorell won't make. I really doubt Soft-Lite is going to be able to come close to the price point of Gorell. However if they were, any thoughts on which is a superior product?

o

I'll second what skydawggy is saying. Also vinyls that wide have a lot of movement in the check rail which leads to them having higher air infiltration rates. I had that problem as well as my parents after a few years with wide vinyl windows. I'd use narrower windows or switch to a stronger material.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here