Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magnusansky

Exterior trim for windows...how wide?

magnusansky
12 years ago

Hi

Short time lurker, first time poster. =)

I've just bought a 34 year old house in the Pacific NW that currently has dark aluminum windows with a 1.5" exterior trim that just rests on top of the vertical cedar siding. I'm planning on replacing these windows with white Milgard Tuscany windows (nail fin replacement technique) so I get to choose what new trim width I would want to cover the cut-away siding.

At first, I thought 1.5" was too thin...and I was thinking of going with 2.5". But then one contractor mentioned that he had done a lot of 3.5" ones, but then I also got advice from a big box paint employee that 1.5" was the most common these days. I'm not convinced of any of these because I'm not sure how many windows the contractor has done recently (used to do new construction though...20 years ago), and the big box paint employee wasn't told what kind of house I had.

The problem with going greater than 1.5" is that the corners edges of the house, the exterior doors and the garage are all trimmed at 1.5", and I don't have any plans to replace them. Would it be odd to have 2.5" window trim, and 1.5" trim elsewhere?

And I guess what is most common width trim used these days for a house with vertical siding.

Thanks

PS. here's a picture that includes a couple windows on the second floor, the edge trim of the house and also the top of the first floor window.

Please excuse the grime. =)

Comments (4)