Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mhdcook

Vinyl replacement windows

mhdcook
11 years ago

We've been given two quotes for replacement on a 30 yr old condo--one for Alside Fairfield 80 windows and the other for Jeld Wen premium vinyl ($2k more than Alside.) Any reviews/recommendations? Thanks.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

Get more quotes would be my first recommendation.

Can you tell us a bit more about the project?

• mhdcook
    Original Author
    11 years ago

10 windows plus sliding patio doors in a Utah condo that we use for 2nd home/rental. The siding on the complex is being replaced at the same time so we thought it would be a good time to replace the old leaky windows. Two contractors (including the siding contractor) have given prices at about $2k difference. I'm guessing it's the windows, but it seems that neither gets good reviews on this site. Thanks.

• mhdcook
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I should also mention that the windows are a combination of sliding and fixed.

• PRO
    11 years ago

Perfect time to do windows is when the siding is coming off.

Go full new construction with the proper flashing details.

Is the condo mandating a specific window?

• mhdcook
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Condo is not mandating a specific window. (They should be as everyone's will be different. Some are not getting new windows; some got new a few years ago.) Both contractors have specified proper flashing and up to local codes.

• PRO
    11 years ago

Local code may or may not = proper flashing.

Skies the limit when it comes to window choices in this case then.

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

Some vinyl window brands that may be available to you would be Milgard, Simonton, Anlin and Amerimax. There may be others but I am in Virginia and I don't know all the west coast brands. I would contact a few window companies and see what they offer. Then come back here and we might be able to give you some help.

• gosssamer
    11 years ago

Hi,

We're also researching replacement windows for our Cape in northern NJ. The companies we've spoken with thus far have said most often the work is done indoors, so no siding or flashing issues occur.

Is there any downside to this approach? In other words, is replacing the windows from the inside the proper way to do this, or would you expect to have to remove some of the house's external siding and install new flashing?

Thanks,
    Alex

• PRO
    11 years ago

Alex,

They are likely referring to a pocket or insert style replacement.

This methodology is very acceptable and just fine when done properly.

• Liam18
    10 years ago

Vinyl replacement windows save energy and also they need little maintenance. Recently installed double paned vinyl windows helped to save energy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vinyl replacement windows

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

BEWARE !!!! Stay away from that link above by Liam18, you will get spyware.